sword stick / sword cane

beccy

I have been asked to source a victorian style sword stick - like Steed has in the opening credits of the Avengers...

However, from what I can tell, they are illegal in this country. Is there anyway of a theatre being exempt from that rule? I mean what about all the illegal weapons used in films...

Has anyone got any advice, suggestions?

Many thanks,

Beccy

Steed gets an exemption A) it was before the rules, B) film sets are private places.

Theatre is a place to which the public have access, and the offensive weapons legislation applies. Speak to your local police, they will likely have a lawful work round. Prepare to need an armourer, and a locked case for the item's security. Look also into fabricating a prop one, though part of the offence is the causing of fear, that can easily be done with a fake sword stick.

As I understand it, the stage in a theatre is accepted as a workplace and not a "public place". Howarth Wrightson published a sheet on the criminal justice act, and its impact on weapons on stage that I may have somewhere. I may even have posted it here in the past...

As far as I'm aware from my involvement with sword based martial arts, they're illeagal in this country full stop - not just in public. I'm not sure what the legalities of an unsharpened replica would be though, you may be able to get away with something made of card or plastic that would be so obviously useless yet looked genuine enough on stage. Ask an armourer or stage combat expert, as has been mentioned.

I recently used large knives in a show. Before I bought anything, I called my local police station and asked them. They were very helpful and allowed me to use the knives providing I kept to some rules on storage, moving them from the set as soon as they are dropped etc. They took descriptions of the weapons (including a flick knife) and said if they ever went missing to inform them straight away.

Howarth Wrightson do some good weapons that you can hire. As far as I know, it is not illegal to own a weapon only to carry it in public.

Hope this helps

Em

Thanks very much for the advice. The National don't appear to have one. Bapty do and say theatres are exempt from the rule, so have a definite which is great. Now just having a peruse to see if there's something cheaper...

Legalities aside, I once had to make one for a show, unfortunatly I haven't got it anymore but it was really simple to make;

The 'sword is made from a length of 3x10mm stock Aluminium bar, at the time ADSA were selling cheap corkscrews that looked like they had a 'crystal' top, it was a quick job to convert this to be the hilt of the sword. the cane, or holder was made from a clothes rail that came out of a wardrobe that got painted black with a cork rammed into the closed end.

It took about an hour to make and looked effective even in a studio space. The silver top is just a bit of silver foil glued to the tube. The only problem was that the actor had to hold the 'blade' when using it I didn't make a long handle that went inside the holder

Pic:

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f86/neilhampson/Utterson.jpg

In terms of sword/blade based weapons, as a karate instructor, we are not allowed to use/transport weapons in public. All weapons have to be transported in a locked compartment in a car, ie a portable safe and the person driving has to hold a martial arts license. As for actually using them, again they are not to be used/seen in public areas, only in the training area can they be used, by people who hold their own insurance and who hold a martial arts license. I am not sure how this wold affect the use of one in a theatre space, but my assumption would be that unless the correct insurance is in place and that the local authorities are in formed then it would be a no-no. However like I said, that would only be an assumption. Ask your local authorities they will be able to tell you more.

Sourcing a genuine victorian one could be difficult. IMO £50 at B&Q should buy all the bits inc the paint. The only real problems are the permisions. the company manager and venue licence holder would need to OK it with the police and possibly the licensing authority. Expect to have to lock it away.

I hve a friend who actually has a genuine victorian one - it stays in a cupboard, and is never taken out in public, let alone used.

it has never occured to me that they were illegal, I just see it as an interesting antique

Gurnsey will have a different legal position on this as it is a separate legislature. There are clearly methods for lawfully storing old weapons, Most tourist castles do! Its when you want to have one in a place with lots of people - a theatre - that things get complex. If a real one got out into a public place then all hell would break loose. I once saw the Met Police approach two youths who had brandished a "pistol" in a street in London. Aiming what turned out to be an air pistol at a policeman brought more real arms to the ready than I (in the waiting ambulance) or those kids ever want to see again.

My grandad had a swrod stick, but it had a square section blade similar to a fencing foil - if it doesn't have a sharpened blade, then common sense suggest it wouldn't be an offensive weapon, as in using a bit of aluminium bar to simulate one

Archived