PZM, or shotgun mics

timtheenchanteruk

Re: Tandy PZMs, there have been two versions of them...at least.

The originals were very good indeed and, as Paul said, pretty much a match for Crowns. Indeed, it was often said by many that the originals were actuall made for Tandy by Crown.

Alas, these good ones disappeared from the shops and, after a bit of a wait, were replaced by the rather unsatisfactory cheapies you get today.

Anybody with the originals should hang onto them!

Bob

Quick update, CPC are out of these (RoHS issue ?) but offer MP33852 as an alternative though the web page gives no real information. They are cheaper at £38.72 and seem to me to be a RoHS compliant re-issue. They certainly perform well and are robustly made.

Brian

They are the same product... MP33852 is the new RoHS compliant product to directly replace MP33201. The data on the web will be updated soon.

HTH

Chris.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=F...mp;doy=28m2#faq

for £25 you could reegard them as disposable, or simply buy one to play.

The maplin website contains no tech details, apart from a dead link to the manufacturers website, which also has no details. In particular, there is no data on the polar pattern of these mics. Most boundary mics designed for tabletop use are omni, whereas the PCC160 has a (hyper-?)cardioid pattern. I've tried using omnis on a stage - results were not good.

I dragged my Tandy mics out to have a look last night, they claim to by Optimus, made in Mexico, with InterTan written all over the box, but not the words "Radio Shack". They were indeed UK supplied, ordered by mail order in the UK, not the US, my memory is playing tricks on me again.

They are omnis, which is very different to the PCCs. On this ground alone they are unsuitable for front stage pickup, unless you want front row of audience pickup, or pit pickup through the same mic...

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?ITAG=F...mp;doy=28m2#faq

for £25 you could reegard them as disposable, or simply buy one to play.

I do haver a couple of these already, and have found then next to useless, I have used them a couple of times on tables, and do suspect they are omnis, which is rather useless for the front of the stage, they also become very tinny more than a couple of feet from them. coupled with the fact that they take those silly button batteries, and the battery contacts are cack!

I was looking to spend a little more than the £25 and get some reasonable mics, I will look at the CPC ones though.

Archived