New Member from Canada

Kevin

A few that stand out to me (from an American perspective): hook clamp not c-clamp; movers not moving lights; prompter-side = Stage Left; generic not conventional; desk not board; CV not resume'; hire not rent.

In terms of 'technical slang', there's more common ground than people think sometimes. For instance, if you said "where's the lighting board", we'd know what you meant. Likewise hire/rent, generic/conventional.

In terms of 'technical slang', there's more common ground than people think sometimes. For instance, if you said "where's the lighting board", we'd know what you meant. Likewise hire/rent, generic/conventional.

I've seen generic/conventional interchanged here (there was even a thread about it), but hire seems to be the norm around these parts. Not that you wouldn't know what I was saying, but more I'm sure I'd be pointed at after I left ;)

Oh, and one more Kevin: Gaffa vs Gaff, Gaffers or Gaff Tape

EDIT: Excess quoting, and somehow deleted my thanks to Andrew C :(

English spoken, American understood ;-)

I understand that English pronunciation is the one that has evolved more than American, it being nearer to 17th Century English.

So, despite of what Professor Higgins thinks, English is perhaps not 'the language of Shakespeare, Milton and the Bible'.

Wow, thanks for all the help guys. I'm glad to hear it's mostly terminology and there aren't different methods of doing things. (I heard somewhere that the ASM calls the cues, whereas here an SM call all the cues? Is that right?)

Hi Kevin!

What part of Canada do you come from? I'm originally from that neck of the woods (born Vancouver Island, grew up Alberta, did the drama course at University of Calgary). I moved to the UK for a year or two's adventure back in 1976 and sort of got stuck!

As for terminology, it's not so daunting and usually you can tell by context. The only tricky one I found is that a Grelco (or it's newer cousin the Squelco) is sort of a two-fer in a single block as opposed to being split cables!

Bob

I'm from Ontario.

Kevin

Over here, it's the DSM (deupty stage manager) who calls the show. The SM takes more of a supervisory role, overseeing the running of the performance, while the ASM(s) will look after props and all the running cues (if it's a smallish show - on larger ones there'll be a technical stage staff to look after any set movements and technical cues, with the ASMs concentrating on props and similar).

Guest lightnix
Actually, it's an adjustable spanner! :D
invented in Sweden, I believe.

...and known in Germany as an Engländer :D

Actually, it's an adjustable spanner! :D
invented in Sweden, I believe.

...and known in Germany as an Engländer :D

That's two interesting facts about spanners I've learnt in 10 days - even after nearly 25 years in the trade.....

Archived