We Will Rock You Schools Edition

Ben Lawrance

Wouldn't any decent-size school have 3-phase installed already? Or are you referring to getting 3-phase from the distro to your dimmers/space?

As for lighting it, I think I'm a bit too late to add my own thoughts, as the original post was in March :lock:

I'm not even doing the show anymore.

After spending a fair few hours designing a rig, getting the hire prices, and wrapping the whole document up with a little pink bow, the school decided that it needed too much money.

After asking "How much did you think it would cost?" The answer I got was "ooooh about £50"

When I asked to see the budet breakdown, they had only got £500 in the kitty, of which £450 was used on costumes. Funny thing is, the directors wife is a seemstress.

Ho hum, less work for me to do.

I'm not even doing the show anymore.

After spending a fair few hours designing a rig, getting the hire prices, and wrapping the whole document up with a little pink bow, the school decided that it needed too much money.

After asking "How much did you think it would cost?" The answer I got was "ooooh about £50"

... and the moral of the story is:

FIND OUT THE BUDGET BEFORE YOU DO THE DESIGN.

One lesson learned! ;)

JSB,

You speak very wise words, but unfortunatley easier said than done. The school do everything backwards. I was asked to do the design to work out how much I needed, the budget would then be set. However, as always in schools there are too many cheifs and not enough indians. Someone starts doing the same job as some one else, and we end up with a mess. Communication is non existant, and nobody every knows the answer.

But hey.... It's Friday!

Cheers

teachers plan and are in charge, student are the gophers - teachers also lie and don't tell the students they are the gophers, and let them have nice shiny badges with "HEAD OF.......".

They also totally ignore student designs when they are not what they wanted themselves, and in the end the student design just mirrors what the teacher originally intended. The secret is not letting them know how it works, but then taking their unused design and giving it a grade! Very few realise what goes on the other side of the office door.

I saw a schools WWRU the other week - no movers (depite owning quite a few), and a 3 colour par wash with a couple of specials - worked fine.

Archived