X connect, Strand 300 and Mac OS X

chrispuxley

I'm sure this is something simple but it is getting the better of me!

I bought an X-Connect key this week, and can't manage to log in or monitor the console. The two are plugged together directly with a crossover cable, the desk IP address is 192.168.000.68, my laptop IP address is 192.168.0.51. The 300 has OS 2.6 installed with Networker. Networker is switched on and I can see the Net Video broadcast. When I try and log into (or monitor) the desk as user 1 I just get black windows. I realise when you choose multiple windows they stack on top of each other but nothing shows in any of them.

I have read through all the previous threads mentioning the x connect but to no avail.

Regards,

Chris

should the desk ip not be 192.168.0.68 not 192.168.000.68......

you shouldn't have to have a fixed ip on your pc but if you do try a different one like 192.168.0.49

when you first log on it can take a short while before the network catches up.

im not sure but should it be a cross over cable and not a patch cable

the latest version of software is 2.8.6. maybe this makes a difference

baz

well - that is just the address is shows in the report screen. I assumed that 192.168.0.68 and 192.168.000.68 were the same. I assume I can change it in 220node.cfg but wouldn't of thought I would have to. Everybody seems to just plug the cable in and it work straight off!

you shouldn't have to have a fixed ip on your pc but if you do try a different one like 192.168.0.49

Tried different IP addresses for the computer

the latest version of software is 2.8.6. maybe this makes a difference

Maybe it is a software version thing. Boring though as I don't have a floppy drive on my laptop! The X Connect literature says it needs to be 2.6 or higher.

Chris

The two values are identical - the only difference is the pretty formatting.

Check your subnet mask - 255.255.0.0 should be a good value.

Can you ping the console from your laptop?

Go to a command prompt, type "ping 192.168.0.68" and see what comes back.

You should get a list of responses - with a direct connection it should be <1ms

If you do - it's some software problem that I know less than nothing about.

If you get errors then it's a networking problem.

you shouldn't have to have a fixed ip on your pc

Yes, he should - he's just linking the PC to the console via a crossover cable, there's no DHCP server in the network, so everything needs to be assigned a fixed IP address locally.

when you first log on it can take a short while before the network catches up.

Agreed - but usually no more than a few seconds.

im not sure but should it be a cross over cable and not a patch cable

A networking basic, that - if you're linking one device directly to another, use a crossover cable ... if you're going through a hub or a switch, use a straight-thru patch cable. So the OP is doing it right.

Chris - Tomo's idea of pinging the desk from the PC is a good place to start - let us know what happens.

The two are plugged together directly with a crossover cable,

Have you tried it with a normal cable, I have seen somebody before connecting a mac laptop to a 520i, and when I asked if that was a crossover cable that they were using, they said no, Mac's don't need to be, because they sort it out themselves. Whether this is true or not, I don't know, might be worth trying it though? Or at least trying a different cable just to make sure of that?

Check your subnet mask - 255.255.0.0 should be a good value.
Maybe you were typing too fast? That's 255.255.255.0 .
No I wasn't!

The mask I suggested permits everything in the 192.168.x.x range, given that the laptop address is 192.168.0.51

255.255.255.0 permits everything in the 192.168.0.x range, so if the console got a 192.168.1.x IP it wouldn't work.

I prefer to open up the address space when trying to get things to work - once you know exactly what address space is used, then you can tighten it.

For physically private multicast/broadcast networks - why bother closing it down?

I use X connect with a win Xp laptop and the Ip address is not static.

It works just fine.

In that case, one of two things must be happening - either your computer is getting its IP address served by a DHCP server somewhere else in the network ; or your network connection is set to grab a dynamic IP from a DHCP server if it can, falling back onto an alternate (static IP) configuration when (as in this case) it doesn't find a DHCP server. There's no other way that it can work. Curiosity is getting the better of me now - single-click the little network icon in your system tray, click the Support tab - what does it say after "Address Type"?

Hi Gareth..

I will do that when I get into work later today.

I think it is DHCP assigned. I do use wireless network that is built into the Laptop.

The desk has a network hub on the system which I have a wireless lynksys plugged into.

The wireless on the desk is not enabled as the company do not think we need it so won't buy it.

Baz

Archived