Par 64 Lamps

JMeG

Nice and quick and easy...

Does anyone know the approximate beam angles of the P64 CP60, CP61 and CP62 lamps?

I know they're narrow spot, spot and flood but that's not quite good enough, especially as my school has a small-scale theatre area.

Any help here would be great...

Jamie ;)

'Lo

Hijack of the topic.

I generally have only used CP62s as the widest beam angles in pars. Can anyone tell me is there a great difference between 62 and exgs?

Also has anyone used the new super par lamp range? From what I remember brighter light output and a longer life.

Also has anyone used the new super par lamp range? From what I remember brighter light output and a longer life.

Yep they are 10% brighter - but I'm not sure on the longer life subject. You've got to be pretty careful about putting them into the rig as they are that little bit noticably brighter - so if your pairing, best to make sure they are one and a kind lamps.

HTH

Stu

I generally have only used CP62s as the widest beam angles in pars. Can anyone tell me is there a great difference between 62 and exgs?

EXGs are enormously wide and flood-y. I used to have some in the lamp cupboard when I was at Cambridge Arts, and the only time they ever got used was by one of the idiot students who was LDing a uni production which looked awful. They were far too wide to serve any useful purpose in the vast majority of situations.

If you're looking for a Par64 lamp that's a bit wider than a CP62 but not as splodgy as an EXG, and you don't have a problem with running lamps in series pairs, a 120v no.6 lamp (a.k.a. an FFS) is pretty useful - gives a beam of something like 24deg. x 48deg.

They were far too wide to serve any useful purpose in the vast majority of situations.

Make good audience blinders mind, if your on a budget. Or perhaps could be useful for washing a cyc from the ground when not alot else is avaiable.

But no, can't really think of many uses for them...

Stu

They were far too wide to serve any useful purpose in the vast majority of situations.

Make good audience blinders mind, if your on a budget. Or perhaps could be useful for washing a cyc from the ground when not alot else is avaiable.

Stu

I've seen them used to replace 2K fresnel backlight when we had trouble with scroller strings burning out when the fresnels were focussed at full flood. (it was moody opera lighting, so lots of saturated colour hence the burn out problem)

I've seen them used to replace 2K fresnel backlight when we had trouble with scroller strings burning out when the fresnels were focussed at full flood. (it was moody opera lighting, so lots of saturated colour hence the burn out problem)

Are they bright enough for this? Being interesting to hear if they are...

Stu

EXGs are enormously wide and flood-y. I used to have some in the lamp cupboard when I was at Cambridge Arts, and the only time they ever got used was by one of the idiot students who was LDing a uni production which looked awful. They were far too wide to serve any useful purpose in the vast majority of situations.

You'll need short-nosed parcans for the beam-spread of the EXGs. Also, accoding to my GE catalogue, the EXG is 73x36 degrees, and don't forget the CP95 at 125x95 degrees.

For small scale stages, often the 500W CP86, CP87 and CP88 are more suitable choices.

Shalln't ask who the ld was...

I am not sure what we have on our par 64's, but they seem to project a rectangular shape light, I think they are exg's... sometimes they can be relaly annoying because you want a roundish light spot rather than rectangular... anyone else find that?

exactly the point told in gareths bit there, which rob quoted. I agree with you there guys, they are horrid :stagecrew:

I am not sure what we have on our par 64's, but they seem to project a rectangular shape light, I think they are exg's... sometimes they can be relaly annoying because you want a roundish light spot rather than rectangular... anyone else find that?

Well at the risk of stating the blindingly obvious (:stagecrew:) - why not open them up and have a look on the terminals on top of the lamp. Or look down the barrel and see what the front bit of the glass looks like...

If it's rectangular-ish, it's probably a CP62, which gives out a very long, but thin oval beam, and could be mistaken for a rectangle?

As for a roundish spot - you ain't gonna get one of them with a Parcan, well not one thats going to give out a reasonably large beam (i.e. CP60 - almost round, small beam tho).

Stu

Guest lightnix
You may already know this, but the "CP" stands for Colour Photography. All bubbles carrying this prefix shine at precisely 3200°K, making them perfectly colour balanced for TV and film.

Guest lightnix

Thanks mate, your encouraging words hae just brought another "interesting" fact to the front of my mind.

Did you know... that the number associated with a PAR lamp refers to it´s diameter in eighths of an inch ? Hence a PAR64 is eight inches in diameter, a PAR36 is four and a half inches, etc.

I´ll get my luxury quilted anorak :stagecrew:

Archived