Lighting Bars

Deathride

Not sure what you mean by incepted, but tested yes - as per the LOLER regulations. If they are IWB's then the electrical part of the bar - cabling, plugs, sockets etc. should also be inspected.

As to the regularity of these inspections & tests - well that depends upon what your risk assessment says...

Edit : sorry I think you must mean inspected (incepted)

• 2 weeks later...
Not sure what you mean by incepted, but tested yes - as per the LOLER regulations.

Im sorry Suzette but your information isn't entirely correct.

LOLER stands for Lifting Operations and Lifting Equipment Regulations. As such if this is a fixed installed lighting bar that the OP is talking about then it is not covered by LOLER as it is not 'lifting' equipment, I prefer to refer to it as supporting equipment. That is not to say that the bar shouldn't be designed and fit for purpose and documented as to the Safe Working Loads.

However if this bar is a winch or motorised bar then it is considered (by most) to be covered by LOLER. Even when equipment is required to be inspected by LOLER, most equipment is literaly inspected rather than tested.

For a simple guide to LOLER this document is quite useful.

As such if this is a fixed installed lighting bar that the OP is talking about then it is not covered by LOLER as it is not 'lifting' equipment, I prefer to refer to it as supporting equipment.
How many times does a fixed bar get a rope put over it to lift equipment? Personally I would prefer to see any bar treated as lifting equipment as far as testing, inspection and marked SWLs go however this isn't always practical.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest xtecx

As such if this is a fixed installed lighting bar that the OP is talking about then it is not covered by LOLER as it is not 'lifting' equipment, I prefer to refer to it as supporting equipment.

How many times does a fixed bar get a rope put over it to lift equipment? Personally I would prefer to see any bar treated as lifting equipment as far as testing, inspection and marked SWLs go however this isn't always practical.

we get all our lx bars,truss and flight tower tested once a year by the guys at unusual rigging.they come in at about 10 and leave about 4 and they only charge about 220 for this to be done as we did have a insurance company test the bars at first but they had no idea and just looked at them and said they were fine were as unusual rigging spent ages testing it all.

but I would advise you to get them tested once a year at least

Archived