Maximum effect from minimum lanterns

nicfar

Maybe I can give you an example of how to save lanterns and still end up with a better rig.

Let's say you're asked to provide the following states:

1) Daytime

2) Night

3) Sunset

Let's say you pick the following Lee colours:

1) 103 Straw (A warm skin tone)

2) 132 Medium Blue (A dark, but not primary, blue)

3) 134 Golden Amber (A very warm amber)

You could easily make up 3 colour washes with 6 lanterns in each wash, 2 front light from FOH, 2 top light from overhead and 2 backlight from behind. That's 18 lanterns leaving you 2 for specials.

Now think about it. If it's the middle of the night would you be able to see people's faces properly? No. Where would the light be coming from? There would be no light. So what we're doing is putting something onto the stage so we know where people are, rather than lighting their faces. So we really only need the 132 as top light.

Now what about that sunset. Does the sun set from all around us? No, it comes from 1 specific direction. Does 134 look good on faces? Not really - it's too saturated, but it does give that warmth you need for a sunset. OK then, let's put the 134 in as backlight to give the warmth and mix it with the 103 from the front to get a nice sunset without making the faces look ill.

So what we've ended up with is 103 from the front, 132 from overhead, 134 from behind and we light the scenes this way:

1) Daytime - Lots of 103 mixed with some 134 backlight at maybe 30 - 40% to give that 3rd dimension.

2) Night - 132 toplight at full with a tiny bit of 103 mixed just sufficient to pick up a little definition of the face without suggesting a colour.

3) Sunset - Lots of 134 backlight to be the sun setting behind the cast, with some 103 to light their faces (maybe 70%?)

Now, even if you go with 3 lanterns from each direction (which is 1 more than we had before) you're still only using 9 lanterns instead of 18.

Clever, huh? :unsure:

Moderation: A tweak for clarity, adding some info from subsequent, now moved, posts.

Hey, joined you a bit late...

I'm often in a similar situation, although my stage is no way as big as yours... If it's a nice black box style, then I reckon sometimes you can get away with thinking of the show on a scene-by-scene basis, and basically ending up with a lot of specials rather than overall coverage. If the stage is more tricky in shape, that might be a problem.

For my AS Level devised I used a lot of tight spots and backlighting which take relatively few lanterns, and apparently the effect was Brechtian. Nice one. Also, try looking at Grotowski style bare theatre movements, then you can get away with being a real cheapskate all in the name of art!

Ella

If it's a nice black box style, then I reckon sometimes you can get away with thinking of the show on a scene-by-scene basis, and basically ending up with a lot of specials rather than overall coverage.

Hi ella,

Yeah I have tried that for a couple of performances and it does work for the shorter plays, however, problems arose when I was asked to light "Oliver!" which proved just to large a show to use that technique for. However that show was easily solved with some kit hire.

For my AS Level devised I used a lot of tight spots and backlighting which take relatively few lanterns, and apparently the effect was Brechtian.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, what AS Level was this for. I only ask as I am currently choosing my AS level options and would be interested to know.

Many thanks,

nic

Archived