Buying a digital piano

Thirdtap

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Two recommendations I'd make are:

The Korg SP-250. My school bought one just before Christmas to replace an ageing Roland FP-9 and it is incredible to play, great touch to the keys and not at all complicated to use. You could probably pick one up for about 450-500 pounds. Very portable, and not bad looking. Range of different sounds, includes Piano, strings, BX-3 organ, Pipe Organ etc.

The Yamaha DGX-620. Again, another great piano. My piano teacher uses this to perform live with and it's got a great sound to it and a really nice feel on the keys. More features on it but I think it may be a little bit heavier, and the stand for it will certainly not be as easily portable as the one supplied with the Korg. Comes within a similar price range as the Korg SP-250.

As I say very nice it even has a go faster 'tube' sound with blue LED back light... The trouble is that I think it is unsuitable for our use as it has far too much in the way of options. It seems to be better suited for a home recording studio not for Dave or Doris who want to use it for their show and are really only interested in a piano type sound.

In terms of actual piano 'sound', you'd be unlikely to be able to top the Triton Extreme's piano patches. The Triton is also actually not that (comparatively) heavy...I don't think you'd be able to find a keyboard with built in speakers that weighed less than it (I believe it's around 45lbs, although I could be out).

That's not to say you should stick with it - it is a beast to use, and full of things very few people would need in a live setting, especially if they were sticking with piano patches. However, just thought I should point out you'd be unlikely to find something significantly more 'portable', especially if you're looking for a built in PA. The solution is probably to therefore look to purchase some kind of flight case to go with whatever you get - I actually own a Triton Extreme, and when coupled with a custom flight case with wheels, it's really not that bad to move.

IMHO,

I think there is another important issue which has thus far been ovelooked - and that is the weighting (not the weight) or the action of the keyboard.

I have had the misfortune to have had to have played several provided pianos- and to be honest there is nothing more disheartening that a piano that you can't really play - reagrdless of whether the keyboard has one voice and function... or hundeds + 12 druns Kits.

Clavinovas - whilst easily portable for 2 people, and at a struggle you can do some of them with 1 person - are worth looking into - as they have good weighting, and inbuilt speakers, inbuilt sustain and damper pedals ... etc...

There are a huge range, from many manufacturers - the obvious candidates will rarely do you wrong ie Roland etc.

I have one of the affore mentioned Triton LE - I've had it for nearly seven years - and it is fantastic.

But nothing with out my fully weighted, 88 Key Fatar SL880.

HTH

mike

I agree with Mike on that one. the feel of the piano to the person playing it is as important as the sound.

I use an old Technics SXP50 on stage just for its piano sound. Its a few years old and isn't the best sounding instrument in the world but it does the job for me at the moment.

I also use a 76 note semi weighted controller and the Triton rack mentioned above. I can't fault it, again you have to remember its a good few years old now and some of the sounds are very good indeed. I have a number of the expansion boards in mine (currently looking for number 6 and 7 anyone out there with them) which add even more great sounds to it.

Whilst no recommendations as such, if/when you decide to get rid of your current unit (when you find an alternative) give us a shout I might be interested.

Rob

Guest pangea

No ones suggested it, so I will...

Try a Casio: they're quite cheap but the sound sets are ace (more 'lifelike' than a Yamaha).

Though admittedly a cheap weighted keyboard will never do the job better than a more expensive digital piano.

Hence the reason I recommended the Yamaha P-140 digital stage piano. It has fully weighted keys, and on the last show the MD even managed to play "Into The Woods" on it for a 2 week run - which being Sondheim was a b****r to play!!

Try a Casio: they're quite cheap but the sound sets are ace (more 'lifelike' than a Yamaha).

Perhaps it would be more accurate to state that maybe 'some' Casio products sound ok - the Celviano's sound ok to me - but I use 'ok' carefully. Many of these things (not just Casio) have some serious implications when used in a more strenuous environment. Sound is the first issue. Many have built in speakers - and the audio eq is arranged to give a reasonable overall impression of a proper piano timbre - however, using the direct out often gives a very different sound - often very synthetic sounding, and miking them up with a mic always sounds 'thin'. The main issue I have, though, is that they are nowhere near strong enough. The best sounding ones look like pianos, a little, but are made from low density chipboard with a wood effect finish, and are fine left in one position - moving them soon stresses the joints, and they get wobbly - eventually failing as the chipboard crumbles away. The main piano sound is where the money has gone, and the other sounds are often pretty grotty - awful strings being a common problem that is found on many Yamaha, Technics and Casio models. SOme sounds are always poinless - accordian, harmonium, and other very odd ones rarely get a look in because they sound damn awful!

Weighted keys let real pianists feel a bit more at home. If you are buying one to amplify and use on stage/move around, then a stage piano on an ironing bard style X stand isthe most practical. VERY heavy, but so much more reliable in the long term.

Go to the music shop and have a play and listen - that is really the only way.

my technics piano had its power supply ripped apart on Saturday. getting that working 5 minutes before show time with a trusty bit of tape was about the only thing that went right. it was the Beatles Feedback Experience show, with John Lennon on mute, and NO I wasn't doing the sound.....

sorry... OT there.....

• 1 month later...

I am looking to buy a digital piano for a small tour.

There may be just 3 or 4 people availble to move it. We're going to schools, so I'm not sure about access.

Nothing fancy, it just needs to make a noise. It's only a little show, a woman singing a couple of jazz numbers is all we need it for.

I have a PA to tour, so it doesn't HAVE to have built in speakers. But I'd prefer it just for ease of use.

The production manager has suggested a Roland Digital Piano (H555G series). But only because there's one on ebay for £500.

She wants my opinion and I haven't really got one as I know very little about them.

Has anyone got any advide, what I need to look for, etc.

Cheers in advance

We bought a Yamaha P70 recently which is Yamaha's bottom end stage piano. All the pianists in the college who use it are very happy with the feel and sound of it. It cost around £360 plus a stand and piano-style sustain pedal (the one that comes with it is more like a volume pedal). So around £400 all in, most online music stores stock it.

It's very portable for a full size keyboard, although you may want a gig bag/case for it.

Archived