Buying a digital piano

Thirdtap

Like Paul says, check the other thread as there are lots of helpful bits on there.

I have a Yamaha P-140, and I am very happy with it. It has about 15 I think (it not being here can't check) different voices, of which two can be applied at a time. Its at about £800, which is slightly more but in my view worth that money. It comes with power supply, stand and pedal as standard. I would not recommend the solid wooden stand for it but a potable X style one - about £25. Also has RCA to connect to external PA if required.

HTH

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
most of the Roland, Technics and Yamaha keyboards are alright, pianists tend to worry about how the thing feels to play more than if it has millions of extra sounds in a bank somewhere. check if the keys are weighted on them first. my ma just got a Technics PX332 or something similar and is very happy with it. all good if you are trying to work to budget.

If it's for a tour like you describe, I'd be worrying more about robustness and portability more than sound quality...

Remember that many "domestic" electric pianos are rather heavy, and have thin MDF cases and bases. I'd be looking at a "stage piano".

how the thing feels to play more than if it has millions of extra sounds in a bank somewhere. check if the keys are weighted on them first.

P-140 Does have fully weighted keys

I'd be looking at a "stage piano".

Again P-140 is a 'stage piano' (should have made this clearer earlier!! Sorry!) It is also very robust!

The music stand on it is also very 'sturdy'. I have played on keyboards and stage pianos (can't remember model), where the music stand is flimsy, flops around a lot and tends to allow music to fall off. Which is obviously not good :blink:

But I would say don't bother buying the proper legs for the P-140 (if you do indeed buy such a piano?) No good for touring, and in fact we have just got rid of ours as they were falling to pieces. Get a decent Quick-Lok stand and put it on that.

Archived