Zero 88 Alcora

menghini222

Can nobody consider a show without movers these days? In the real world they aren't that common outside shows with large budgets.

Good question however, the use of movers can actually save lots of budget. rather than create a need to find a big budget in order to use them. For example: a 3 colour backlight wash for a 8m x 8m stage........ you'd need say 16 Pars for example; plus dimmers plus heavier mains distro, more multicore.......... or you use 3-4 movers

Quick sums:

16 x Par64 £120.00

2 x Dimmers £50.00

2 x Multicore £20.00

4 x Spiders £16.00

-----------------------

TOTAL..........£206.00..... a hour to rig?

or 9-12 x 2kw Frensel..... pretty much the same price.

4 Movers.......£240.00.....15 minutes to rig?

I'd know what I'd rather use

As a footnote... when I was school..... everyone wanted to use the T64 ....... WOW! ( I mean as if to say the P23 wasn't good enough!)

Paul, your calculations are interesting, although skewed. Factor in programming time and its easy to skew them the other way...

16 x Par64... Generics only desk, £40

Programming time.... 2 hours @ £30/hr £60

Total: £100

4 x Movers... Moving Light Desk, £120

Programming time.... 6 hours @ £30/hr £180

Total: £300

Really not worth saving £34 on your hire for, is it?

Hey, I wouldn't use a desk with faders, had to do that for the GCSE Drama exams, such a pain on the frog with 2 mac 250's, everything that was programmed in on sub masters would have to have 2 submasters to work it,

1. Movement

2. Dimmer

*sighs* such a pain, hopefully we will get the leap frog soon ;)

Paul, your calculations are interesting, although skewed. Factor in programming time and its easy to skew

With respect Peter WHO THE DEVIL ARE YOU CALLING SKEWED!!! ;) HOW DARE YOU!!! ;)

A man of your experience will know how quickly it is to programme half a dozen preset focuses; colour pallettes etc ( what 5 minutes?)

I bet even faster than a couple of guys can drag the tallie out of the scnene dock to start focusing the pars!!

:)

Once again just putting across my personal preference........ give me half a dozen wash lights and fatfrog anyday........ :P

I would put a buck on 12pars and a Alcora looking as good as half the moving light jungle you'll get in the same set up time. Nice to know what kind of show this is for or did I miss that bit?

If your still stuck with the Alcora and movers, put the movers in 'stand-alone' mode, at least you know what will happen next!

I can't remember offhand if the Alcora has a DMX patch facility.

First yess it does

I'm always happy to be proved wrong. Its been a while since I used an Alcora, but I did not think it had a patch on board..... please someone correct me or let my memory be right

Hey, I wouldn't use a desk with faders, had to do that for the GCSE Drama exams, such a pain on the frog with 2 mac 250's, everything that was programmed in on sub masters would have to have 2 submasters to work it,

1. Movement

2. Dimmer

*sighs* such a pain, hopefully we will get the leap frog soon :)

See, I am the other way around, we have a BullFrog, but no fixtures, though, how complex can a GCSE peice be, they are 20 minutes long! Surely you could get buy with generics, I usually do mine with 4 1/2k Fresnels, 4 Floods, 3 Selecon Accliam Axial Zoom thingymajigs, two Patt123s (hooray for Patt123s, my amdram theatre uses practically nothing else) and a Patt23, running off a Zero88 eLara, all done on subs.

Archived