Visual Mixer

Alexb_01

Hi, I'm hoping I can get some advice, my technical knowledge mostly lies in the realms of sound/lighting so I'm looking for some video advice.

A bit of background info: For the last 5 years (since my school was built) we have been using a Panasonic WJ-MX50A visual mixer to mix cameras/computer visuals [to a projector/s] when putting on gigs. I have been told today that this mixer (which belongs to the media dept.) is not going to be at our disposal anymore as it is going to be in permanent use in the media/tv suite and we will have to buy one ourselfs... If you think it all sound bizarre and unnecessary don't worry - I agree.

I am looking into how much a new one would cost and what to look for. For what it's worth and the amount we use it I'm hoping it will be over budget and I can then have 'ammo' to use the media dept.'s one.

The mixer would be used mostly with Cannon XL2 cameras and a computer (connected via s-video) and sometimes DVD player, the Panasonic is pretty retro and I'm not sure whether technology in this area has developed significantly since this mixer came out? The Panasonic using BNC connections which I find are awkward, it might just be these are the norm in this area, confirmation of this would be good.

I would like the price to be as low as possible while still having at least most of the functionality of the old mixer.

Thanks in advance,

Alex

You may be able to get another MX50 second hand from eBay or similar. Or you could get it's replacement the MX70, although I think this may also be discontinued now. BNCs are the most frequently used professional video connector, due to their latching ability, in the same way as XLRs are used for sound.

Thanks for the advice so far, in regards to Numark mixer, we have no need for the audio functionality so I don't think it'd be particularly useful,

Doing a quick search on eBay seems to point to about £200 at best which is fine, are there any other better alternatives to the panasonics?

4 pin S-connectors are a total pain in anything other than permanent, or nearly permanent installs. They are flimsy, pins bend easily and standing on one bends it terminally. BNCs last for ever, are easy to put on once you've done a few (or bought a nice crimp tool, rather than the solder versions) and are, as Peter said - the industry standard on kit from £100 to £100,000!

If you have been using an MX-50 happily, then buy one! They are not old fashioned, they just are laid out in a fairly typical manner - most vision mixers/switchers use this common layout.

I wish I'd still got mine, I needed more inputs, so went a bit cleverer, but it is nowhere nearly as easy to work!

It's worth pointing out the Numark also looks very disco, and so probably not very helpfully laid out compared to a more traditional vision mixer. One warning, if you're used to the MX50 and similar, then watch out for the Edirol V4 and similar (I guess the Numark is the same, it's hard to tell), which don't have true preview and program, i.e. they're not linked, instead you choose an output for each bus, and choose preview separately, which makes it a lot harder to mix. We were being lazy the other day and got our V4 out rather than the MX70, it's a very different experience and not nearly so intuitive.

Also on a related note, Paul if you think s-video are bad, you've obviously not seen the top panel mounted phonos on the V4, one of ours seems to be broken already, despite the mixer not even being a year old, anyway they're something I would seriously try and avoid, a nice BNC on the back is much better, even if we do end up having to bodge back to phono for consumer DVD players etc. :)

The MX-50 is still a very popular mixer for live work of this sort, and they typically change hands for ~£1000 second hand - if anything, try and persuade the media department they need a new mixer for their suite! (seriously)

Edirol do some nice units, I have a V4 myself that I wouldn't swap for an MX50, but as noted above, the V4 lacks a lot of the nicer and more professional features that the MX50 has, i.e. loopthrough outputs, BNC connections, etc. and they're not as intuitive to use. The tradeoff is that they have midi and loads of effects and so on, features which are great for Vjs but not so much for IMAG, corporate, church, etc.

The Edirol V1 is worth a look, it probably does most of what you need, but doesn't have all the effects and so on of the V4, and the price reflects that to some extent.

Thanks for the replies, really clearing it all up, I think I am going to look into where I can source a MX50 cheaply.

You wouldn't believe the politics within the school. Ironically enough this same dept that is demanding this mixer just spent I can only presume in excess of £15,000 upgrading their media suite and tv studio... yet they cant buy a second vision mixer....

Because my school is owned by a private company and in effect rented by the school its somewhat of a jumble as to who owns what. While the school owns some equipment the company (Jarvis) own others. Yes this is the same company responsible for countless train accidents and failures...

Archived