Recommend me a Soundcard

timtheenchanteruk

Fbx?? sorry for my ignorance, but what is it. Although I have a lexicon MX200 and I have used it setup via midi for recording works quiet well as a plug in

sorry, yes, behringer FBX, feedback destroyer can accept MIDI control, suppose it would be easier for setting the parametric filters, and even my alesis midiverb

it would mean that my outboard rack doesnt need to be as on-hand

Having MIDI is really handy; I've done a number of (school) musicals with backing track and effects on the lappie, with live vocals, and I programme up the lappie with which programs I want on the effects units, so its just one less thing I have to get right mid-show...

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone tried the Behringer F-CONTROL AUDIO FCA202?

I've just purchased one... need to install XP as there are no Vista drivers yet... but is it an okay card? Or rubbish and I should re-sell it?

Firewire, TRS out x2 and TS in x2. ASIO Drivers.

Thanks

David

PS I realise that asking this is a bit after the fact... but hey. Ta :D

I've got one, and I'm quite happy. The driver has no facilities to speak of, and the interface itself is 'basic', but the ASIO driver is OK, and the sound and build quality are fine. And it's cheap. If no-frills, 2-in, 2-out is all you need, it does the job.

It doesn't really seem to like being plugged into 2 computers, though - even though only one is on at a time, and it does have 2 firewire connectors.

Bob

It doesn't really seem to like being plugged into 2 computers, though - even though only one is on at a time, and it does have 2 firewire connectors.

I'm not surprised... Firewire is designed to allow daisy chaining of devices, in the same way that USB uses a hub based system...

Daisy-chaining "host -> device -> other host" is just wrong on so many levels...

• 1 month later...
What I'd like to try is a WDM --> ASIO converter shim, but I cant find one, only ASIO --> WDM like ASIO4All, as I suspect I'm the only person trying to use one of these things using WDM, and that the ASIO drivers work fine, but all my software prefers WDM...

So would I !!

I want to use Multiplay with an ASIO ESI GigaportAG USB soundcard so need the above mentioned wrapper.

Also tried PCstage but although that will support ASIO, it only allows you to have 8 mono instead of 4 stereo pairs (unless anyone else knows different ;) )

Tried ESI support any they say use software that supports ASIO which is a lot of help.

I might have to try 4 off cheap USB soundcard dongles and a 4 port USB hub mounted in a box! CPC here I come :blink:

I've just bought this:

Sound card

(the I/O version)

Which if only for stereo playback or recording does the job perfectly. Powered by the laptop, it also means you can lsiten/edit on the go (plane, train, tourbus) without a mains supply (headphones only of course)

You also have the "dj" version that has no "in" but two "outs", for multitrack or "cue" functions...

At just over £100.00, I'm pleased, have tried it to record mains out of FOH desk, and it sounds very good!!!

Supports true 24 bit, 96 kHz audio, by the way...

• 2 years later...

Excuse the unearthing of a 3-year-old topic, but I searched for an existing "USB sound card" topic.

This may help others...

I'm using the M-audio Fast-Track Pro, and twice this year it ceased, (i.e. no output,) in mid-use. Coincidentally, (or maybe not) each time was as a lightiing effect was killed. (unfortunately I can't confirm the cause, as I've been unable to recreate the fault to order.

It may have been an unknowing combination of key-strokes and mouse actions in I-tunes :P :** laughs out loud **: - like Paulears's browser text issue )

Checking laptop audio device settings later, it had inexplicably switched from "Fast Track Pro 1/2" to "... 3/4"

IIRC I set-up on the 3-4 RCA outs the next few times, until I needed to use the balanced jacks again and switched it back to 1-2. I didn't equate this to the previous failure until now.

For users of Virtual DJ, which I've just been introduced to, it's a simple change in Config to switch back.

I'm happy with the M-Audio Fast track Pro and would recommend it.

Owen R

A quick look on thomann brings up this: http://www.thomann.de/gb/maudio_fast_track_pro.htm
I've seen problems with PC laptops and the Maudio Fast Track Pro, it seems to have driver issues! That said, I've used other Maudio cards and haven't had any trouble.

Cheers TonyF.

BTW I understand the driver issue was really an OS issue. Microscoff changed the USB handling in XP at Service Pack 3 - it actually chirped properly during reset instead of just sending a long single-ended-0 - and all the drivers had to be rewritten. Or you could regress to the old USB not-quite 2.0 handling to get round it. (You probably all know that by now.)

Anyway, back on-topic, the driver wasn't included with the Sound Card, but they direct you to http://www.m-audio.com and it was a simple matter to download and install the correct driver.

Owen R.

Archived