'Expenses'

Crewtart

Remember, if you are self employed, you are just invoicing for the job as a whole- your expenses are wrapped up in all that as part of your quote. The fact that the client is reimbursing you for your travel shouldn't make any difference as that should have been factored in to your quote.
Not necessarily - it is quite common to quote a job as being £x plus expenses.

When it comes to invoicing for the job, you'd put:

Services: £x

Expenses: £y

Total: £x+y

Or similar - your clients might want an expenses breakdown of course!

If you supplied goods as well as services, there might be a third line item for them depending on how you quoted - for example, garages often quote parts & labour separately.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or similar - your clients might want an expenses breakdown of course!

If you supplied goods as well as services, there might be a third line item for them depending on how you quoted - for example, garages often quote parts & labour separately.

This is quite common, but it shouldn't affect the fact that you keep your receipts and knock it off your taxable allowance when you do your tax return, after all it is expenses incurred, therefore you don't pay income tax on that part.

Quoting for services + expenses - you should have a good idea of what expenses I.e travel, Pds will be incurred as long as you have the correct info - I.e load in time, location and should easily be factored into the overall cost. (obviously if you don't have these you can't factor the costs in - but you will also be late/ in the wrong place :)). you may put in a note that any extra unforeseen expenses will be invoiced on and itemised (after the client has approved them).

I am sure most clients would prefer to have an idea of the total cost inc. expenses so they can budget the show, after all travel can come up to £80 or more and put that across a crew of 10 that can have an impact.

Some companies want the invoice to read -"as per quote" no itemisation or anything else, whereas some companies want a complete itemisation of travel costs (done on a separate piece of paper - my choice) and a few want the receipts - one even had the nerve to say that it was so they could claim VAT back of them - forgetting that I would then have to pay income tax on it ( I don't give them the receipts).

I hope I'm not rambling, but to cut a long story short, Crewtart - if you invoice your expenses, keep your receipts and take them off your income when you do the return. (presuming they are allowable.) If in doubt get an accountant or phone HMRC as they are always very helpful.

Just my 2p.

why should I pay tax on travel expenses reimbursed to me by the employer. So, do I separate them out and bundle them with my other travel outgoings, eg, train, car?

(edit - this was supposed to be another post)

Just to add - am a bit confused by what you mean (as I am sure you are confused by my ramblings ;) ). You are talking about income tax here? Are you worried that by being on the invoice you pay income tax on it - if so see my remark re receipts and earlier post by Boswell which explains it very well.

I have been asked to do a recording job in central London. The chap says he can probably sort out a free parking space near the venue. So my quote is for services provided + parking costs, which should mean I get the parking space! However if not, I'm covered.

Archived