Gel or filter

Lukeharnett

As has been said, it depends on who I'm talking to. If it's someone who would know what gel meant I'd use that term over filter but if I'm describing something to a non-technical person I'll say filter as it's used in a similar context in other areas.

I don't think I've ever called it 'filter' within a theatre, it's always 'gel' the only exception is when someone is sent to do the 'colour call' (i.e. cut the gel for a rig)

Filter just sounds a bit too scientific for me, but I agree, to a layman, filter is a much better description.

If an LD asked me to add all of the filter, or colour media, and I then came back and said 'I have gelled the rig, I would not expect to be corrected, nor would I ever question enyone who asked me to fetch me those filters, we all know what we are talking about, it's no different from Parcan/Can/P64/Par, some descriptions are more accurate but it's unlikely that you wil get the wrong thing.

If an LD asked me to add all of the filter, or colour media, and I then came back and said 'I have gelled the rig, I would not expect to be corrected, nor would I ever question enyone who asked me to fetch me those filters, we all know what we are talking about, it's no different from Parcan/Can/P64/Par, some descriptions are more accurate but it's unlikely that you wil get the wrong thing.

in the words of Mark & Lard... good point well put!

Archived