Moving head Theatre profile

jimbob

It is a pain, but it is possible to bounce focus.
Its also worth noting here, and there may be some egg sucking training going on, that some lanterns come with disks on the pivot points (Selecon Fresnels have a good implementation of this) which would mean you could just write down some numbers and for example change between a DSC spot and a MSR one and back again.

Bounce focusing winched bars is not too hard - we only have one motorised bar at our venue - which is FOH2 and whilst it is the main bar we use, it is also easily accessed by the scissor - the rest of our bars are winched and we don't have any access equiptment for the bars on stage.

After the first few focuses, you learn what sort of direction you want the fixture pointing and the beam angle/focus positions. Provided you do not have to use shutters, it should not take more than three or so drops (including the initial drop to the ground for rigging) to get a really good focus. The main trick is to have the lights on as you raise the bar, and to try and predict whether it will be okay BEFORE the poor person winching the bar gets to the top.

Bear in mind that the fixtures discussed do have shutters, so it's fair to suppose that a bounce focus is not the way forward. Automated fixtures, for this particular use would seem to be justified.

I'd tend to agree.

However, for those suggesting a combination of scrollers and S4s - I think anyone considering that setup would be infinitely better off looking at a Seachanger, a 4-disc dichroic changer that fits in line with an S4 body. Like the old HE ColorMerge units, but without the bulk, extrusions, or the maintenance issues.

Hi,

Ok I know the topic starter was a moving head profile but I have seen some very nice coverage from Mac 2 k wash's with the mototrized barn doors.

can't see a grid or trim height mentioned in the post's but my guess is this would save on the bounce focus issue and give you a nice even spread with 2 x fixtures,little bit less to worry about as these fixtures do not require as much attention as a spot version,

Not on topic but thought I might throw it in

Regard's C

Bounce focusing winched bars is not too hard - we only have one motorised bar at our venue - which is FOH2 and whilst it is the main bar we use, it is also easily accessed by the scissor - the rest of our bars are winched and we don't have any access equiptment for the bars on stage.

After the first few focuses, you learn what sort of direction you want the fixture pointing and the beam angle/focus positions. Provided you do not have to use shutters, it should not take more than three or so drops (including the initial drop to the ground for rigging) to get a really good focus. The main trick is to have the lights on as you raise the bar, and to try and predict whether it will be okay BEFORE the poor person winching the bar gets to the top.

I bounce focus 3 manually winched bars. You tend to get good very quickly.

Archived