Sennheiser Ew100 bought off ebay

matt547

Was it a UK seller/shipper? Also if its a G2 transmitter it will use two AA batteries....

yes it was a uk seller, but it takes pp3 (9v) batteries but the sticker says g2?

The sticker is wrong. The G2 takes AA batteries. As Paul's photos illustrate the receiver output is a balanced TRS jack.

Bob.

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Looks like an original version to me. If it has a 9V batt, it is NOT G2. However, the link you posted is useful - the feedback from past sales is interesting, one comment comes up a few times.

yea I noticed that. so what sort of price would the g1 version I have (now we have established that) brand new, I mean was it still a good deal for £150.

yes I obviously have a ew100 g1 but with a g2 sticker on the transmitter for some strange reason, might have been a mis print or something.

For £150, the test will be - how well does it work? In view of the receiver differences, then I suspect you have a 'look alike'. If it performs well, then I guess it's not a bad price - a brand new G1 would still get around 250-ish. The history of this seller seems to suggest he gets around 120-130 for each 'brand new' Sennheiser - which, common sense says is a bit odd. I find it strange he has a supply of brand new old models with slighty different components, and stickers?

For £150, the test will be - how well does it work? In view of the receiver differences, then I suspect you have a 'look alike'. If it performs well, then I guess it's not a bad price - a brand new G1 would still get around 250-ish. The history of this seller seems to suggest he gets around 120-130 for each 'brand new' Sennheiser - which, common sense says is a bit odd. I find it strange he has a supply of brand new old models with slighty different components, and stickers?

well I used it the other day I set up a small rig of my gemini mixer, alto 1.8kw amp and 2 class d speakers and it seem good sound quality and I got about 60 meters out of the range in my housing estate. I dont know what thats like compaired to your ones? thats not a straight line but I thought it was pretty good, I mean it beats my audio technica one which was meant to be as good as the £200 sennheiser but I dont think it.

Range isn't an issue - in fact, if you got 60m it's doing pretty well. The only two things that matter are performance and reliability. In a single channel in use scenario, then it will probably be great - and if you do discos, then I think it will be great. If you had bought 8 or more, then you might find the receiver selectivity and filtering in general may not be up to it. As long as it proves reliable, then what the hell!

In cases like this, do you think you have good value for your money? If the answer is yes, then forget it and carry on.

For fun, I bought a beta 57 on ebay - pretty obvious it's a copy (I paid £28) and compared to a real one, it sounds 'different', but ok. It's a bit lighter too - so you can feel the difference. Does it work on somebodies clapped out bass cab, hanging off it's own cable, dangling from the handle? Yes - it does!

im only going to be running the one of them, I have a wired sennheiser aswell, an audio technica wireless hand held and also a trantec beltpack radio mic so I have all I need now, I bought this to replace the audio technica because it has let me down with range and also quality at a bit of a distance.

I am happy with it, every one who sees it sees a sennheiser and is impressed, I think its performance is, we will find out wen I put it through its paces at a gig coming up soon.

cheers for all your help every one and thanks for the pics paulears they were helpful.

Kind regards

Matt, I will be posting on this fourum again its one of the best I have been on for nice people and good quick repsoneses.

A friend of mine who is a DJ has a rather odd G1, which has minor differences to all these that have been pictured here, but as we've seen here, it works fine, it sounds good and that's what really matters.

Also, we've have some absolutely stunning use of the quote function in this thread haven't we. I mean some of them really aren't even close :)

Moderation: Fixed now, a reminder people, you need equal number of

[quote]

and

[/quote]

I use a bank of 4 G1s (E845 transmitters). They have been used regularly over the past 8 years and been 100% reliable (unlike the Duracell batteries I have used). I have reliably found the following:

A range of 100m (50m is absolutely safe)

A battery life of 9hrs continuous using Duracells (or the occasional 5 minute one)

A battery life of 6hrs continuous using Sony or TDK alkaline batteries (100% reliable)

A battery life of 3 hrs continuous using NiMH rechargeable batteries

If you're not sure, check the battery life. If these are oddities, you may find they don't last very long. If they're up to spec, they should be fine. The retail price was around £300 in 1999 so £150 today sounds like good value to me.

Bob.

Yup, definately a G1 series system. Very good value for the price of £150.

Was this sold as new? If so, do you get the full guarantee.? And is the seller a Sennheiser delear?

One thing to double check is the frequency bands. You should be able to tune the system anywhere between 838.00 to 870.00 Mhz (863.000 to 865.000) for license free use. If not then you may have a version designed for use outwith the UK.

Steve

Got an email back from the seller re the one currently up for sale, the frequency range is 740-776MHZ :)

This is Sennheiser's Band C - good for US TV channel 59 to 64 and EBU channels 54 to 59.

It does not include the UK free to use 863 - 865MHz frequency band.

It's possible to licence frequencies in the 470 - 854MHz band, but you would need to talk to JFGM first.

Although this system is not entirely unusable here, were you to buy a system from a UK based Sennheiser dealer, they would typically supply you with one that covers 830–866 MHz.

A case where it's not actually illegal, but not entirely honest?

Simon

I would speak to Sennheiser about this unit.

I know that the market (esp Ebay) is currently being flooded with dodgy Chinese stuff, just look at the countless SM57/ 58's going around.

With regards to the frequency bit. They may (assuming you have a genuine unit) be able to reprogramme it to cover the UK free range.

Good luck.

I only paid £150 for the mic and its new but not sealed.

Have I bought a fake or is it just old stock he is selling off cheep on ebay?

I would strongly suspect you have a fake here. I purchased one from ebay about 12 months ago: it was the lapel version, but still EW100 series. Different ebay seller, but potentially the same supplier I guess. Auction claimed it was a G2, and the (grainy) photo in that case appeared to show the G2 style beltpack. As here, it was surprisingly cheap.

When it arrived, the box looked real. The manual was a fairly good copy of a G1 manual, but the beltpack was a very obvious fake. Cheap plastic, nasty moulded-on antenna, very small display. Mini-XLR mic input rather than the screw mini-jack. Very nasty quality lapel mic. Sticker said something like 'EW100 G2 microphone" (on the beltpack!!). Took a PP3 battery. Functionally, it seemed similar to a G1, as if the electronics had been directly copied from a G1.

The receiver, however, was an almost perfect replica of a G1. I literally had to hold it next to a real G1 (which luckily I had) to spot a few tiny differences in the sizing of the pannels on the bottom. Apart from that, you would have sworn it was a real G1. Another give-away was the receiver antennas. Superficially they looked real but the screw joint (where they hinge just off the BNC) seemed a bit flimsy. When you position the antenna, there is always a little bit of free movement, as if the screw is too big for the hole. Real ones stay much more positively in position... good old German engineering. Also the Sennheiser PSU connectors have a fat plastic tip which helps them stay in better, while my fake one had a standard DC plug without the 'bulge' at the plug tip.

I would suggest you have a fake... but in your case the hand-held version. The chinese source of these are obviously better at making good looking copies of the hand-held mic and receivers than the beltpacks! Look closely at your mic (things like inside around the battery compartment) and see if you can spot any differences from published photos or drawings, perhaps on Sennheiser website (links anyone?). Oh, and mine had the European frequency range like yours.

Hope this helps. As others have said though, if it works ok for you it is still a bargain, albeit a slightly immoral one.

Ben.

Archived