Rollerskating On Stage

broadway_lad

A risk assessment by somebody under the age of legal responsiblity is still valid, but the validity needs to be put in the context of responsibility. I'd not like to argue this one in court. Juveniles are allowed to give evidence in court if they can demonstrate that they understand the consequences of what they say - but the 'worth' of their comment is always tempered by their age, experience, maturity and education.

In this case, we seem to have a teacher - responsible in law, qualified and experienced saying differently to somebody who is none of those things. Broadway lad may well say

I've worked performed in the west end and have close family working in town (and frankly know more than her) and the shows that I've MD and directed (out of school) - have been very succesful and she is jelous becasue she is not part of the production team.
but the teacher doesn't seem to have the right of reply. BL could of course be right, and has worked and performed in the West End. I know tons of kids who have done this (often for Star EFX) - but being on the stage of The Palladium on their dark night doesn't really count on a CV as "West End" experience.

In all fairness, I may have misunderstood Broadway Lad's meaning - and if he'd like to tell us more about his experiences, we'd love to hear about it - bearing in mind how many of us either work, or visit these places quite often, and know many of the permanent staff.

School and college theatre is a million miles away from the real world.

Your Too Right!.. I was telling the truth about working in town and she knows its true yet she still holds a grudge against me (such a lovely woman). Done Whistle Down The Wind (which I helped write the 12 page RA:D) In The palace, Blood Brothers (phoenix & Tour), Scrooge (palladium & Tour) and Joseph (New london & Tour) and I'm looking at the Prospect of Dr Dolittle (tour). I won't tell you my school name as you may happen to visit but I am in cumbria and in Yr 12

I think the invitation was to provide positions, rather than shows. I could give you a very impressive list of clients, companies, and shows I've 'worked' on...but it's pretty worthless if it turns out I was the tea boy.

In the end, it boils down to the simple - and possibly unfair - fact that it's not your stage, so you don't get to make the rules. What you want to do may be totally safe, but it's the person in charge of the venue who decides whether it happens or not. In the case of a school, clearly the students don't call the shots.

Ah yes! Starlight Express, 1984, most successful purveyor of broken ankles to the NHS in theatrical history. My beloved was a senior sister in A&E at the old Westminster Hospital and similar central London hospitals around that time. Her vague memories are of bombs, tube fires and Starlight Express fractures. Think very hard before you get amateurs to do this, the professionals had plenty of problems.

As far as the teacher is concerned she/he IS legally responsible, she/he IS "in loco parentis", and even if a student wrote a witnessed statement that he/she would accept ALL responsibility the teacher would be held liable in court. Paul is too gentle, get a grip, it doesn't matter one iota what experience a student has, they are still a student. The teacher/student relationship is the element that seems to have been overlooked. Teachers may not always be right but they are always responsible, particularly in court.

Bite the tongue and do what you are told, it will be good practice for any industry, particularly this one.

Ok, seeing as you are apparently very experienced etc etc...

There is no requirement for a "Licence" to skate.

There IS a legal requirement for the teacher who is taking responsibility for the production activities to suitably assess all foreseeable risks and take such measures as are appropriate to reduce those risks to an acceptable level.

If (God forbid) there was an accident, that teacher would have to stand up in court and justify allowing the activity to take place - and if they couldn't show that they took reasonable precautions, they could go to jail and/or be fined very large sums of money.

You CANNOT take that responsibility yourself - it's the law.

No ifs, no buts, no exceptions.

If she isn't willing to accept that responsibility, then you can't do it - SHE is the one who runs the risk of criminal proceedings if something went wrong.

You may be able to assist in the preparation of risk assessments - but it's the teacher who takes responsibility for them being correct.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but it may be of use in the future...

I used to work for Tesco's and was paid to roller skate round the store (hey it paid the bills...) part of the insurance / rules imposed on us by head office was that we had to be able to prove competency, and the way we did this was by doing what is now the Federation of Artistic Roller Skating (FARS) grades, up to a min of grade 2...

anyway, less of my shady past...

• 4 weeks later...
I'm really sorry, but I've gone into grumpy old man mode again!

Is it just me, or do students have to do everything for themselves nowadays? and where on earth do they get the crazy idea that they have to have licences for every activity. In the 'real' world you need a licence for pretty sensible things - guns, using the radio spectrum, driving, etc. and some things need some kind of evidence that you are competent to use them - as in fork lift trucks where bodies such as the Health and Safety Commision have approved training organisations. These things often get called a licence, but they're not really - but they are used as if they were.

Other things are just activities with a bit more risk to them than walking, or sitting.

The day we all need a wallet full of licences, we should all just give up!

I feel sorry for the students who come onto the forum to check these kind of things. I really think that if you are a student, then somebody else should take the risk responsibility. I get the impression that the teachers don't get involved in explaining things anymore?

You're Right Paulears, the school I attend has, as of September, got no staff member who is able to operate the drama spaces sound and lighting rig better than I am.I do think that schools in general are giving too much responsibility to students, I have been told that you now need a "qualification", I use the phrase lightly, to climb the ladder used to access the schools lighting box, above the rear of the seating. I believe this is insanity although it is not a very good idea to let a student (me) climb it on his own. <_< :** laughs out loud **: and oh yeah before anyone says that I am not the one being held responsible im not but the head teacher is very willing to vouch for me as is the head of drama if anthing goes wrong

Archived