Vocals gone missing?

alex_kyuss

First thoughts are that it's a problem with a few channels sending to particular AUXs. Try putting a music source (something that won't feed back if the gain suddenly jumps up) at low level into the XLR I/ps of the problem channels, routing them to the AUXs you were using, and then tapping the channels. This can often show up dry joints and ribbon faults.

Re the weird gain problem: are you using anything on the channel inserts that could affect the metering; compressor etc? Otherwise could point to a dry joint, bad track on a pot, and almost certainly be part of the AUX problem.

Odd that the fault's switched with channels though...

Are you sure the monitors were working? Guitars and drums can be quite loud and so you might have thought the sound was coming out of the monitors! If they were not working dead amp or speakers!

Just an idea.

Mike

Hey cheers for everyones replies they've been really helpful.

Hi I have just got off the phone with the company that owns the set up, and the guy did a gig with a completely different set up other then the 2 amps I used at the gig, and the same thing happened the vocals faded out and never came back. Other then the amps there was nothing at this gig that was at mine so I think it might be the amps after all but I don't no how its possible? I could hear the vocals in the PFL and there was deffanutly audio coming through the monitors

cheers Alex

Ok, under normal circumstances it can't be the amps as they cannot split things from the mix. however, do check the amplifiers settings, is it set to mono? a mixture of signals could cause some odd things.

To really stretch things we could look at induction loops, but I really doubt this.

Rob

Is it possible the amps are switched to bridged mono? If they've got discrete mixes going to chs 1+2 with the vocals common to both it's possible the phase inversion could cancel the common signal.

This wouldn't explain why they were there at the start of the show and then faded out later though.

Sounds like a problem I had at an event. We lost two vocals from the mix completely. Only for five minutes. PFL showed them going through FOH and Monitors. On Can I could hear the vocals but nothing was going through Monitors or FOH. Leads and Microphones were checked post event and all passed with no issues.

We put it down to a component failure in the board. This has happened twice in a week about a year ago. The second time it happened I open the board and cleaned out the dust around the pots and sliders and we haven't had a problem since. Guess it was a piece of dust or Lint on the PCB blocking the signal.

Hope this helps.

Cheers for everyones help on this.

But we have looked over every piece of kit used including the desk, given them all a good cleaning but haven't found anything wrong with them!!

So were going to send the desk for a service and hope for the best very very strange indeed

thanks everyone

Alex

Archived