CO2 Cannon (Static) Required...

deja

Loadsa people do silly things! Its more keep it off your PLI credentials!

Was it a Gemini space capsule or a very early Apollo that burned at the top of the rocket while waiting for blast-off? that was due to a fault igniting everything in the pure oxygen atmosphere. Astronaughts were cremated on live TV.

.....meanwhile, back at the thread.

Having worked with cryogenic effects, I'd question the wisdom of firing CO2 directly into the crowd - it's pretty bloody cold, you might want to cool your clientèle down but you don't want to maim them. I'm not a H&S Nazi by any means and I do have a tendency to get slightly too near to some of the dangerous stuff I let off, but I'd not want a jet of the cold stuff pointing at my exposed skin. If it must be firing into the crowd then conventional 'smoke' is the way to go, if it's being pointed away from people and handled in a professional manner then CO2 can look great - though most of the effects you will have seen will eat gas by the cylinder load!

• 4 weeks later...
.....meanwhile, back at the thread.

Having worked with cryogenic effects, I'd question the wisdom of firing CO2 directly into the crowd - it's pretty bloody cold, you might want to cool your clientèle down but you don't want to maim them. I'm not a H&S Nazi by any means and I do have a tendency to get slightly too near to some of the dangerous stuff I let off, but I'd not want a jet of the cold stuff pointing at my exposed skin. If it must be firing into the crowd then conventional 'smoke' is the way to go, if it's being pointed away from people and handled in a professional manner then CO2 can look great - though most of the effects you will have seen will eat gas by the cylinder load!

ya they cost a fortune to run if you use them a lot, the one in ibiza is liquid nitrogen. check out the le maitre website they have something similar for about 100k!!

I installed 2 co2 machines in a club recently with great effect from show effects in holland.

they have a big smoke machine built in aswell and the co2 gives it a massive throw. fill a huge venue in seconds!!! another thing is the bar pressure needs to run at about 20bar, a tank is 50bar so you need a regulator which are quiet exspensive and you lose pressure if the run from tank to jet is over 10 meters. 1 very important thing is if the relays are DMX controlled run the power for the relays from the dj box not the trip box! because a relay got stuck on me first night and by the time I got to the trip box it emptied nearly a full tank into the crowd. the place had to be cleared for about an half hr all doors open co2 meter when through the roof.

• 2 weeks later...

In Belgium we use a lot of CO2 jets and most of them are pointed to the people without any problems in all these years!

1 Club has the same install as in Amnesia and people can't wait to be blown abay with the CO2 that is pointed just above them.

"Avdavesound", why do you want to run on 20 bar with your CO2 jet? Go full power, 50 bar! With a good system you don't get small CO2 drops and so it's less dangerous ... . Invest in good stuff, not in "Maya" stuff witch is poor China made.

For more: info@avmbelgium.be

the bar pressure needs to run at about 20bar, a tank is 50bar so you need a regulator
All the systems I've used, built and installed have used used liquid CO2 which cannot be regulated in the same way a gas can. A basic system would consist of a tank feeding various solenoids through an isolator and insulated pipework. The better systems also feature a purge solenoid vented outside which enables you to remove any gas from the pipework immediately prior to the effect therefore giving the biggest impact however this obviously eats away at your gas supply.

the bar pressure needs to run at about 20bar, a tank is 50bar so you need a regulator
All the systems I've used, built and installed have used used liquid CO2 which cannot be regulated in the same way a gas can. A basic system would consist of a tank feeding various solenoids through an isolator and insulated pipework. The better systems also feature a purge solenoid vented outside which enables you to remove any gas from the pipework immediately prior to the effect therefore giving the biggest impact however this obviously eats away at your gas supply.

I was quoting from the manufacter who said the best effect is when its @ 20 bar. liquid co2 is what it use's I've mine at 50bar cost a lot of money to regulate down to 20bar. there smokeblasters from show fx

In that case I'm afraid they're talking crap.

If you have a tank, pipe or whatever and put some liquid CO2 in, some boils off until the pressure reaches the vapor pressure at the relevant temperature. Add more CO2 and some of the vapour condenses or take some away and some liquid evaporates, either way the pressure stays the same.

Shock horror - Here's an completely "ON TOPIC" post :rolleyes:

If you're in Ibiza, nip along to Pacha and ask the guys using them there, I had the Pacha guys at Loch Lomond the other week firing CO2 into a festival crowd to great effect.

They were about 10-12 feet back from the Mojo at the front of the dance tent, firing from around head height up and they didn't hurt anyone, not even when they let of a spare cannister to lighten it and blasted me from 3 feet when I was soaking wet - cheers for the cold guys!!

Ahaa, you have a "Smoke Blaster". That's another story and not just a CO2 jet ... . The Smoke blaster uses liquid CO2 and smoke from a smoke machine. To get the best effect you will need a CO2 dewar @ 20 bar.

For a normal CO2 jet it's better to use 50 bar bottles.

Our CO2 jets blow up to 40 feet ...

'Ello everyone,

I used to work in the clubs of Ibiza such as Space, Pacha, El Divino, Privilege, Somny and a load more designing laser shows, a bit of board op'ing, a bit of production work and a load of LED installs.

It was a time I greatly enjoyed as the clubs over there really are something else. Forget all that Ibiza uncovered nonsense and get yourselves over to We Love Space on a sunday, the clubs are like none I've ever seen in blighty, proper pleasure palaces (and the spanish and italian women!)

When I was working in Ibiza in the summers of 2004 and 2005 it was a CO2 jet that blasted down over the crowd. That was told to me by the clubs manager on a site visit we made trying to get work for the night Cocoon or maybe Cream if my memory serves me right?

It was a cool effect (no pun intended) and was very welcome when you had been dancing for an hour or so. The heat in there used to be mental! And the laser always looked cool as the CO2 disappeared.

The only bad thing was you couldn't see more than six inches until it had dispearsed.

I believe that Space have now also installed a CO2 system as well, as all the clubbers in Amnesia loved it and it was always a big talking point.

I will try and get in touch with my mate Pedro who is the production manager at Space who I often went to Amnesia with to the nights Cream and Cocoon and get a bit more info on it.

Archived