Cassete to CD/MP3/PC

Jammie300

8) Fade up the inverted hiss, and you will hear the reduction as it cancels out.

I very much doubt that this would work. Hiss is by its very nature random. If you invert a section of it, nothing really changes as it's still random.

That's exactly what I thought when I first read it until I realised that he's talking about creating a new track exactly the same length as the first with just the hiss that Audition's noise reduction finds.

I'm really not sure why you should do this rather than just allow Audition to remove the hiss but I guess it lets you preview sections in real time more easily. Personally I would spend the same amount of time running multiple passes of the noise reduction set to gently remove noise. Multiple passes of 10dB noise reduction work much better than a single pass of 30dB.

Cheers

James.

I'm really not sure why you should do this rather than just allow Audition to remove the hiss but I guess it lets you preview sections in real time more easily. Personally I would spend the same amount of time running multiple passes of the noise reduction set to gently remove noise.
Too brutal. It alters the sound you want too much. I've not tried multiple passes; I will next time!

I very much doubt that this would work.
Sorry if I wasn't clear; I have used this method, and it does work. What I don't know is whether Audacity has the tools to do it.

My bad - must read the post more thoroughly before replying next time...

I've always just tried the reduction on a bit of the track in order to set the level of noise reduction to apply & then let it get on with it. Seems easier / quicker as I presume you'd still have to try a few times to set the right level of noise to extract for your method. Too much, and some of the wanted audio seeps though which will then start to be removed when you mix the two tracks.

I'm really not sure why you should do this rather than just allow Audition to remove the hiss but I guess it lets you preview sections in real time more easily. Personally I would spend the same amount of time running multiple passes of the noise reduction set to gently remove noise.
Too brutal. It alters the sound you want too much. I've not tried multiple passes; I will next time!

Yes - the default settings in Audition are much too optimistic. Once you've learned how to tweak them you'll find that Audition is as good a restoration tool as just about anything else apart from maybe Cedar.

Cheers

James.

Archived