Outdoor lighting for building opening

chrishandcock

I would not reccomenased the mac 600 exterioor version as they are really designed for permanent install and do not have a base plate to sit on, those companies that do have them have created a boom base for it. More imporantly, if you are not used to using the fixture then you do not have a user interface on the unit u have to use a martin upload box to address and change parameters... so if u get to site and they are addressed wrong its a pain in the bum.. use Mac 600's in domes if you are going to do this... little tip, remove the front lens.. gets a wicked spread...

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I would whole heartedly agree with grandMA the 2nd - mac 600 exterior is not the way to go on a one off gig, along with the interface issues, with all that glass in the way you get a slightly reduced light output.

however GrandMA the 2nd is wrong to advise you to remove the lens from a standard 600 this interferes with the cooling of the unit and you could cause damage to the glass. this should never be done and I would advise grandMA the 2nd to stop this practise, and perhaps not advise people to do things that are clearly outside the design specifications of the unit.

how many units you need depends on what you want to do (art - hrumph..... :D ), columns of light, a completely even wash, scalloped edges, the errr building is your canvas.

you need to do your beam angle calculations. set a throw distance knowing that the beam angle is around 65 degrees get your protractor and scale rule out.

but if you want an thrown even wash ciity colours may be more punchy I was suggesting 600 more as pointing straight up the wall solution.

why not take a trip down to bristol since you seem to have a relationship with the warehouse and put a 600 wide against a wall and further away from a wall look at the light and deciede what you want artistically. both will colour the wall in different ways

A good option would be the new VL3500 Wash from Vari-Lite. The output is superb obviously being a wash you can get great coverage. You can also get a tight enough beam to use it as a search light.

I would whole heartedly agree with grandMA the 2nd - mac 600 exterior is not the way to go on a one off gig, along with the interface issues, with all that glass in the way you get a slightly reduced light output.

however GrandMA the 2nd is wrong to advise you to remove the lens from a standard 600 this interferes with the cooling of the unit and you could cause damage to the glass. this should never be done and I would advise grandMA the 2nd to stop this practise, and perhaps not advise people to do things that are clearly outside the design specifications of the unit.

how many units you need depends on what you want to do (art - hrumph..... :D ), columns of light, a completely even wash, scalloped edges, the errr building is your canvas.

Thanks son of Lx dad.. I believe the lens removing tip of yours.. think I saw it on a reputable clothes outles website on their online fashion shows... mmmm.. ps are u still munching on sausages fella...

As a point of note (noticing that you have looked at the Sky Rose 2500),if you are considering LED check out the new generation of Griven LEDS - Stroker tri colour - saw one on demo very impressed

• 4 weeks later...

As mentioned by Kevin

Have you thought why? why are lighting the building? what are you trying to convey? what story are you trying to tell? is there some story behind the site? some image the college would like to convey?

etc....

lights are the tools? to release the imagination (I have to keep reminding myself this)

I know it would be nice to do something like that.

But all the college seem to want is something impressive and flashy.

A few searchlights, etc.

They havn't given me anymore info since they first spoke to me about it.

I am going to try to have a chat with someone who knows what they want this week.

Thanks for all the reply's. They are most usefull.

At the moment I am thinking some mac 2k's for searchlights. And 6, mac 600's for the rounded bit in the picture and also the glass entrance.

Thinking of 4 city colours for the other large white areas.

Any opinions on this set up. Will that be enough to cover it???

Thanks

Chris

Chris,

Looking at your picture - a couple of points:

How are the grounds in front on the building being lit? as it could affect what you are trying to achieve?

2ks would do what you want to do, but the building is very big, so I'm not sure that 8 2ks would have a real impact - so where would you place them?

I would suggest using some smaller fixtures as well - maybe having 6/8 mac600s lined up at the base of the large window on the right (the reflections on the glass would possibly be quite affective)

Then you could use mac250/500s between each of the 600s to project a gobo up the window between each colour.

Best of luck,

Robert Kendall

The grounds probably won't be lit at all.

May light the trees with some discharge floods. But other than that. I've also been informed that the patio area isn't going to be quite like that.

I was planning to put the 600's and citycolours quite far away from the building to try and get a relatively even wash over the building. And uplight the glass from the inside with 2x 600's.

But I do like the idea of having 6x 600's uplighting the glass. May have a think about that.

I also already have 2x 250 kryptons that the college owns. I was wondering if I could use the city colours for the wash. (not sure how much they would cover, but can get them a reasonable distance away from the building to get a wide coverage. And then maybe uplight the bottoms of the building with the 400 watt discharge floods. Not sure really.

Thing is budget really. I don't know this yet. But am trying to keep it from £1000 - £5000 as a guide.

Thanks for all your suggestions, they are much appreciated.

Has anyone got much experience with city colours that could give me some advice. I have none. Have seen one used once.

I don't want to use them unless they will cover a large area effectively, as they are quite hungry on power. If there is a slightly lower power option (like a mac, etc) that would be good.

Thanks very much

Chris

Has anyone got much experience with city colours that could give me some advice. I have none. Have seen one used once.

I don't want to use them unless they will cover a large area effectively, as they are quite hungry on power. If there is a slightly lower power option (like a mac, etc) that would be good.

Thanks very much

Chris

hi chris, I just finished a job doing a lighting display for the rose of tralee festival here in Ireland and I used 6 2500w city colours, 8 mac 2ks, 6 mac 600, 12 mac 500 and 2 showtec sky roses. the city colours are unreal lighting coverage is great from them, I found the mac 2ks and 500's not great because you could not get beam shape unless you used gallons of smoke, the light output from the cc's very strong but the mac 2k's would be great to use as gobo projectors from a distance and use mac 600's as up lighters and get a few of the high power griven imperials to give that film premiere effect, stay away from the 2500w sky rose, I had to check a few times to see even if they were on!! they really need smoke to maximise them.

I had the whole lot outdoors for 5 days hanging off custom bars rigged to scissor lifts with black scrim to cover the scissors and I used no domes for any of the heads I made custom covers for the bases out of builders plastic and it rained heavy for 3 days!! did not have one problem with any of the lights. pm me and I can send you some pics

Thanks for the photos Dave, but those are far, far too big!

They only just fit on my 1600x1200 - for the poor sods stuck in 1024x768-land, they'll completely break it.

Can we have some shrinkage please?

- and quick as a flash, it happens!

• 2 months later...

Hi

Did a post a few months ago, that I can't seem to track down to add to now, so I've started a new one.

It was about advice on the opening of a new building at yeovil college.

It's done now, and it went great.

I just thought I'd say thanks to every one that contributed to the topic before, and here is a pic of the out side.

The final equipment was:

10x 400 watt discharge floods

5x Pixeline 1044 battens

2x Mac 300's

2x Mac 600's

2x Mac 250 kryptons

1x Mac 2k (plus cutom gobo of college logo)

1x Mac dome (for 2k outside)

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g244/chrishandcock/IMG_5149.jpg

Thanks again

Chris :P

Moderation: Post merged into old topic; its easy when you know how (using the member's topics search for future reference)!

Archived