what wattage is a betapack 3 dimmer

five_pin_xlr

Alex - are you sure you're not pulling our legs with this question? I've been reading some of your posts and found this one
I recently was turned down in being a LD for JEFF WAYNE'S - WAR OF THE WORLDS, because I didnt have any pli.

:D

Don't be cynical, Paul - of course he was turned down for the LD gig on War Of The Worlds because of the lack of suitable PLI. The fact that he doesn't know the difference between a Par64 and a Par56, and can't even cope with the most basic electrical theory, has nothing to do with it. For a BECTU member working as a freelancer in the theatre industry (it must be true, it says so in his profile) there seem to be some fairly major holes in this fella's basic electrical skills. It appears that the ability to name-drop a couple of well-known figures in the TV lighting business does one absolutely no good at all when it comes to actually having a clue! :blink:

{Sits back and waits for wine-fuelled post to be moderated into oblivion ... but I don't mind, because I do so like that lovely shade of pink that hidden posts accquire ...}

Edit : Remember Riggit?! :)

I haven't even seen the kit!

I was just told they had par 56 black by vision and cp62 in stock.

At first I wasnt sure if the cp62 was correct as they also have par64s hangin in the building.

I know the laws etc its just I was not 100% sure with it all.

I was always told if your not 100% sure ask. So I asked, and vollah getting slated by gareth for something I know.

But the guy has the amount needed now and its go ahead, I will check the lamps in the par 56 longnose when I arrive at the place to pick them up

alex

I know the laws etc its just I was not 100% sure with it all.

I was always told if your not 100% sure ask. So I asked, and vollah getting slated by gareth for something I know.

I'm sorry, but I can see where Gareth's cynicism is coming from, I would expect a GCSE student to know and understand P=V x I, let alone some-one running their own company, doing this sort of electrickery thing professionally!

But if it is 300 x 6 then thats what I want to know, because apparantly there is a new way to work it out, but it doesnt seem right. its wattage x volt - divide amps. is this a load of cobblers and is someone pulling my leg.

On a slightly more constructive note, if you think about it you are definitely having your leg pulled.

To get a result from this equation, you need to know all three variables, Wattage (Although the correct term is power), Volt(age), and Amps (or current).

For an equation to help you work out current it defeats the object a little if you need to know it in the first place! (Is this now where people start talking about simultaneous equations and other mathematical magic and confuse me totally?)

Jim

But if it is 300 x 6 then thats what I want to know, because apparantly there is a new way to work it out, but it doesnt seem right. its wattage x volt - divide amps. is this a load of cobblers and is someone pulling my leg.

Alex - you are correct in your feelings that what you have written doesn't seem right.

Your mistake is talking about something called wattage which is a nonsense word and doesn't mean anything.

{Sits back and waits for wine-fuelled post to be moderated into oblivion ... but I don't mind, because I do so like that lovely shade of pink that hidden posts accquire ...}

Hey - At least you didn't make a fundamental mistake of arithmetic in your wine fulled post - (My wife was very convincing in trying to get me to bed last night at 23:40 so I wasn't exactly thinking about the reply I was making.....)

three Par 56 300W lamps per dimmer then each dimmer uses 1200W.

Alex,

As has been pointed out by at least two people so far - Would you believe that the quote above was a deliberate mistake attempting to show you some of the pitfalls in believing electrical advice dished out from people you don't know from adam in an open internet forum? - or would you believe James had too much to drink and intended to write the following

three Par 56 300W lamps per dimmer then each dimmer uses 900W.

James

My O level physics was some time ago (as was the A level & electrical engineering degree that I never finished. However I think :

........apparently there is a new way to work it out, but it doesn't seem right. its wattage x volt - divide amps

This formula will simplify to Volts x Volts which gives you nothing useful. If you use UK mains (assume 240V) you'll always end up with a figure of "57600 square volts".

Is this a load of cobblers and is someone pulling my leg.

Yes

/me == Terrified resolves to True.

For $Deity's sake, go back to a teacher and/or buy a book on simple electrical theory.

You desperately need to get this stuff so thoroughly hammered into your head that you remember it when completely ****-faced and more-than-half asleep.

(Even if your arithmetic skills don't stay with you...)

Unless you do this, you're likely to have an accident that renders you incapable of working in this industry ever again.

I am desperately hoping it would be in such a way as to not take anyone with you, or permanently injuring anyone - including yourself.

The formulae you require are:

P = I * V

I = P / V

V = P / I

Often drawn as a little triangle.

Other useful ones include:

P = I * I * R (power dissipation of known resistance)

V = I * R

Mods - this might be a good time to close the thread

Archived