Running a Laptop Alongside Mixing Desk

Dan (now in stereo)

Sorry Steve, but I think you're missing the point here.

No, not missing the point - just raising a related one.

Dan didn't say he believed he shouldn't have to pay for the software, he just said it wasn't an option.

That is true. However, I should add in retrospect that my points were directed a little more generally at those who expect something for nothing these days. (Sorry Dan) I regularly come across people who are after software for little or no cost - even to the extent of piracy. The intended use of said software is often for real-world use and, like I said before, people should reward those who develop the tools if only to encourage continuing development of these. Yes, there is still a community of developers putting out freeware but this will always be limited.

Me - I purchased Sound Cue System which works pretty well for the uses I've put it to in theatre.

Steve

I just bought CSMD - Computerised Sound Mixing Deck - for £20 or so. Easy to use.

You know I do like that program, its very easy to use and very clearly laid out and all at a very reasonable price! Especially if your a small am-dram group, after all it was professionally developed for one!

I use a piece of software called "Sound Cue System" available from Here. It enables you to have all of your songs / sound effects cued up and they are each activated using the space bar, as soon as one has played the next one is ready. Hope this helps.

Just a quick thought : Have you connected your laptop up to your sound system to see what it sounds like? I only ask because in the past when I've used laptops I got horrible interference from the laptops PSU. It went away when the laptop was running on its batteries.

I have had this problem, in my case caused by the video laptop (connected to my desk for a dvd). A set of balancing transformers can help, or various permutations of earth lift cables. An external sound card also makes life easier, as they often have balanced outs.

The easiest solution, though not always possible, is simply to run on battery when connected to the PA.

Newbie poster here, great forum!

We (at work) use SportSoundsPro. It's on the web and relatively inexpensive ($50usd?). The interface is customizable with large "buttons" that you set to be the track you want....the roll is instant and you can also customize the cue point on a trk-by-trk basis. With a touch screen, it's awesome as a 360-Systems Instant Replay replacement!

There's alot of features for the money, all-in-all it's a really cool piece of software.

John

Does anyone know of a program which I can use to run my wav./mp3. audio from a laptop in a cued format. I really like this simple program http://www.showpromidi.com/index.htm which does what I want and little more, despite it's retro look, however it's about £50 :) which isn't really an option. Any suggestions?

Hi yeah, I use Q-Lab, which is for Mac, but Sound Cue System is a good one to try for Windos (about £30) Q-lab is free.

Oli J

I use a piece of software called "Sound Cue System" available from Here. It enables you to have all of your songs / sound effects cued up and they are each activated using the space bar, as soon as one has played the next one is ready. Hope this helps.

We use it too, it's brilliant for the money, we do six channel sound with it and even send cues to the lighting systems via MIDI!

Archived