Matrixes, or is it Matrixs' or maybe Martix's...

Dan (now in stereo)

First of all, very happy with the idea of matrices and their uses, but can't claim to have ever needed them on my work. One question though, are the matrix "sends" post or pre fader of wherever they are fed from? For example, if group one was in the matrix to, say the front 3 rows fills (As given in the example above) would the output of this matrix be turned off or reduced in volume as I pull the fader down? Or......... Do I have to pull down the matrix outputs as well?

First of all, very happy with the idea of matrices and their uses, but can't claim to have ever needed them on my work. One question though, are the matrix "sends" post or pre fader of wherever they are fed from? For example, if group one was in the matrix to, say the front 3 rows fills (As given in the example above) would the output of this matrix be turned off or reduced in volume as I pull the fader down? Or......... Do I have to pull down the matrix outputs as well?

I'm guessing it will act like a main output fader, if there's nothing going into nothing is going to come out otherwise you wouldn't be able to use it for front 3 rows fill, because they would here actors backstage :) or pfled (it's a verb, promise) music.

Post fade, though I shall expect that there is possibility to alter this on digital boards, or at least potential for future software to be able to do this. A choice would be nice in some ways but certainly post fade if there is no choice.

I've got a job coming up near Christmas on a roundabout where 3 zones are required, 1 for each leg of the roundabout I expect. I may require a slightly different mix for each of these due to various stage volume and direction. I can and will be using 3 matrix outputs for this as it gives me the maximum control. I may also use a 4th matrix out to control the sub separately as a mono feed, to all of the subs, but this I shall decide when I find out more of the program material.

Matrix outs are one of those features that are useless until you need them, and then every substitute or workaround is ugly.

A lot of people continue to whine that the new version of the (I think) A&H GL2200 (which I think is the 2400, can't be ar*ed googling) has matrix, and has lost stereo inputs to free up the real estate for the matrix knobs. It certainly put the low end A&H up a level of capability, but for most people its a poor tradeoff, most of the time stereo ins are more useful then matrix outs. But you can fake a stereo in fairly easily with a pair of mono channels (or an external toy submixer), but faking a matrix is harder.

Anyone tried the Shure Auxpander?

Archived