New Avo Desk

3guk

Presumably you still require a VGA screen to load custom fixture profiles? I discovered this the hard way on a Pearl 2008 when trying to load from a floppy, I can kind of see the logic, given it has the full Pearl library on, but it still seemed a step backwards, given the older models allow you to do it (I realise they've probably recoded from scratch or something, but if they've redone everything else, why not that feature).

I don't understand what you mean. All code for 2000/2004/2008/Tiger and currently Expert (along with Azure and Sapphire AFAIK) is essentially the same and has not changed other than bug fixes & additions.

Personalities are all the same and you've never needed VDU for selecting fixture. What exactly was the problem? I know there has been a change to filter by manufacturer which makes use of a .lst file IIRC.

I needed to load the profile for some LED pars which I'd written, which doesn't exist in the Avo database. I couldn't find, or see in the manual, a way to do this without plugging in a VDU and copying the files to a folder in C:\Program Files\something... , as was explained in the manual, which was a real PITA when you're in the middle of a field, although we managed to scrounge one from elsewhere in the end.

Also browsing the library seemed a bit nicer with the manufacturer options, but frustrating when it returns you to the top each time you install/cancel one (I was looking for a Dimmer RGB one in the hope one would already be installed, everything else seems to be RGB Dimmer, so trying to methodically work through involved lots more button pushing when I got back to the top each time, but that's a minor issue).

Are you sure you're not talking about the Expert?

There are no file functions like this in any of the other consoles (except D4 of course). Only Expert and D4 have Windows.

I am aware that the USB is using a similar file format to the Expert where the showfiles are in subdirectories, but I was not aware of any changes to personalities and floppies. If there were then surely all the APS disks wouldn't work at all?

/edit: I agree about the menu structure. I assume you meant Dimmer+RGB against just RGB?

Yes it was indeed the Expert, apologies for the confusion.

Well yes the majority of fixtures seemed to be just RGB, but those that had dimmers all seemed to have them at the end, or lots of other random control channels included too, which obviously wasn't suitable for this particular fixture or if it was would lead to confusing patching.

Ah, that makes much more sense!

Yes, I see the awkwardness here. I'm certain with future software opportunities all this will get sorted out.

Contrary to wording of the manual however, I do not recommend ever using the Expert without a VDU if at all possible. After initial tests I suggested that this should be advised to all users. The main reason being that if Windows decides it needs some user input you will never know. Much as this hopefully never happens, it would be prudent to cover yourself - what might seem like a catastrophic frozen board may have easily been fixed by hitting an [ok] button.

(I should point out that this has of course never actually happened in any release version software...!)

I understand about LED fixture problem too. I guess it is unusual to find those that are just basic RGB but with that crucial overall dimmer. Out of interest what fixtures were they? It could easily be submitted to the personality library for addition.

• 2 weeks later...

To all who wanted to know prices... I have emailed avolites and found out thta they are...

Pearl tiger console @ £4125.00

flite case @ £360.00

little lite @ £55.00

cover @ £40.00

they are expected to be able to ship the consoles by febuary

hope this helps :)

Pearl tiger console @ £4125.00

I was told at PLASA (by the Avo MD I believe, very nice chap!) that this price is temporary and that it will be increasing by £500 next year to encourage uptake of the Tiger.

I had a play at PLASA with it; it's a nice unit and it's exactly what you expect it to be - a small Pearl. I had no problems getting the Robes attached to it doing things. I like it :-)

Prices at PLASA tend to be very 'guesstimated', and unless people are really interested, then treat them like an unofficial list price.

I don't think I've ever seen a pearl in a school - great desks but not really student or teacher friendly. Far too clever, even in the simplest version. A pearl for somewhere with a few fresnels, profiles and PARs is a bit of an overkill, unless you buckets of buckets.

Quite possibly. But at least the Tiger is small and easily portable so the option is there should the need and budget arise!

And of course the £4100 quoted above was simply an approximation. Some of us will have been told £4000. Still close enough. Whichever, they are just RRP's which noone ever actually pays, do they? ;) However, I do personally feel that even after discount this is already priced too high. We shall see.

I don't think I've ever seen a pearl in a school

We do gigs in schools all over Manchester. There is one out there, honest - I nearly fell over in shock when I discovered they had one![1]

Unfortunately it had gone the way of many complicated things that aren't looked after (eg movers) in schools - it was in desperate need of some TLC. Many faders were broken, the screen didn't work and it was effectively being used as a two-preset desk. The technical lad that was there was astonished when I got it to do things (such as chases) and stuff - of course, knowing where the 'tap twice to change speed' option was without needing the screen helped. I gave him a quick tour of the desk but I must admit that I used our pearl, not theirs, for our show! It's a real shame though - they were really lucky to have one.

Then again, most schools we go into have some old and knackered desk that doesn't really work. There's a lot of Elara/Alcoras out there; one I can remember has a Mambo Frog (again, to my surprise) but most have a basic analogue or DMX desk. But I agree with paulears - there's not a need for anything more complex, really.

[1] Similarly when we did a venue visit in a school that had just had their stage wiring redone and they had a 63 3p and a 32 3p IIRC, along with some spangly new dimmers. Astonished doesn't describe my reaction; I praised the guy who'd been campaigning for the upgrade of their facilities to be done properly and it just goes to show that if someone with a little bit of knowledge about the needs of the industry is based at the school then miracles can, and do, happen!

I don't think I've ever seen a pearl in a school - great desks but not really student or teacher friendly. Far too clever, even in the simplest version. A pearl for somewhere with a few fresnels, profiles and PARs is a bit of an overkill, unless you buckets of buckets.

I go to a college and have used the pearl for more than a few frenesels, profiles and PARs, I have used mac 250 washes and entours, martin mania SCX600, and a set of colour scrollers. the only fact I know the prices is beacause I emailed Avolites as were getting an update soon, to stop having to hire this in, and this will include mac 250s. I rest my case.

Archived