Remote signalling

Ynot

Any ideas on this one guys?

Our Tecpro master PSU sits in the sound booth main rack, which is behind the op's, and thus out of sight. As the usual is to plug straight in to the front of the front of the PSU (thus saving a beltpack) they can miss visual calls on the cans (eg stage hitting the call button) as they're normally monitoring audio (as they should :rolleyes:).

So - I've been asked if there's anything on the market that could be used to extend the call signals to a visual flasher in eyesight of the sound op's...

The first suggestion I was given was the Tecpro xenon strobe, but that a) seems a little OTT and b) a bit of an expensive solution at around £100.

Any thoughts?

Anyone got a diagram of a bespoke unit that can pick up the call circuit and be run into a small LV light that can be bolted to the wall?

OK, we could say use a beltpack but that not only uses a bit of kit that isn't strictly necessary but also can get missed as well if popped on the desk the wrong way.

In fact, the more I think on it, if a cheap & cheerful option can be built there's mileage in sticking one at each major cans location - for similar reasons.

Two thoughts:-

1) Bodge an LED in parallel with the signal lamp and extend it into the eye line of the technician.

2) It isn't all that difficult to make a beacon. I no longer have the details, but a colleague and I have done this before. The system puts a DC offset onto the audio line, detect this, and use it to drive a relay with an indicator.

I think the ComClone system is compatible, and includes a circuit diagram for a flasher. Edit: Okay that's a lie, although I know I've seen a diagram on the net somewhere.
Which sounds promising. I was sort of hoping for a simple cct diagram.... :rolleyes:

IIRC, the signal light on tecpro systems works by superimposing a DC bias on the signal cores. I don't have a unit to look at here, but it should be fairly trivial to impliment just the signal light on a small project box. I'll not be able to have a closer look until September, unfortunately.

Only twice??

I have a strange sensation of deja vu...

That thread also contains a circuit (courtesy of Brian) which does the same job, but is driven from the tecpro PSU, so needs no external power supply.

Excellent!

That looks an even better/simpler option.

I did try searching for a solution, but failed to bring this topic up, so thanks Bruce.

You may have noticed I don't normally participate in threads of this title, due to a bit of a conflict of interest... Thats my big call light that people always say nice things about... gives one a lovely warm feeling... wheres the blushing smiley when you need it :rolleyes:

Edited to add the smiley...

• 2 weeks later...
Well....

Impressed as I was with the diagram above, I went away and ordered the bits to start building.....

Everything was easy, til it came to the transistor. The one in the diagram - MPSA 13 - is now obsolete. Found an equivalent - FMMTA14 . After a couple of chats with CPC Chris, he gave me the Farnell order code, and so I ordered some nice new transistors.

So I was just a touch surprised when I received said components....

Now, ok, it's probably been over 15 years since the last time I did any serious circuit building - (I was a fervent electronics hobbyist in my teens, :yahoo: but that was a hundred years or so back... :)) - but when I saw these wee beasties I had to scratch my head and admit that I couldn't see how the devil I was going to fit these to the vero-board let alone solder them...

Couldn't even see the pins!!!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Ynot_01/Transistor_2.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Ynot_01/Transistor_1.jpg

That's FIVE of them in a strip, by the way................ :(

heh - it may be an electrical equivalent, but it looks like it's in a surface mount form...

Rather than faff about with those, I'd keep looking for the mpsa13 - my (corporate) account with CPC shows that they have none in the UK, but about 16,000 in their US sister company - 2p each, but a 16 pound postage supplement.

However, both RS and Rapid Electonics are showing them in stock, in a sensible package for the home constructor.

Archived