Lighting set-up

Guest dj_cuthbert

I dont want to use all the lights because at the minute we do.and to look at the lights no matter how many brilliant effect I get out of them,its just looks desperate if you know what I mean.I would rather ave less light than to many.

Just because the lights are rigged, it doesn't mean you have to use all of them all of the time...

Leggy.

Assuming you have the SWL for hanging them and the power with which to drive these lanterns. Hang the lot then create different looks by the lights you use. You could have a lighting theme for saturdays and a different one for fridays. You could have Friday looks on Friday's disc, keep the effect special to something.

The hard part is the design, the painting with light, it is routine tech work to hang, focus and drive the design.

I don't see why you need to be changing the rig around every month so. What will you achieve from this?

You need to look at the layout of your venue.

How big is the space?

Any interesting features of the room (alcoves, stepped or raised areas)?

Where is the stage positioned?

Where are the seating areas and bars?

Are fixtures permanent or does the look of the venue change every so often?

Do you have a rig and if so does it fit into your space well (look at symmetry in design)?

Also you need to look at how the people react within the space.

Do people dance in the middle of the room?

If you are doing live bands, do they need important lighting (this will affect how important lighting above the dancefloor is)

Is there any 'dead' areas of space people don't go to?

Is the main space exposed, light and open in appearance?

Is there an atmosphere when the venue is busy?

Lots of lots of things to think about before you start rigging the stuff!

You really need to give us some spec of the venue if we are going to help you at all?

Remember, you are the designer. We are blind.

Archived