Zero 88 Jester

Brian

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Graham.

Thanks for your reply. I'll drop by the stand at some point on Thursday for a demo then, as it's one of the desk I have down for possible purchase.

Cheers,

Stu

Thanks for all the information on the new desk.

The R&D department have clearly working overtime - can you also confirm that the other new console will be at ABTT?

I've heard the 'Crazy Frog' is quite advanced in development and has a huge marketing campaign planned.

Any information gratefully received....

Impressed with the Jester desk (which in case anyone didn't know will be superseeding the standard Frog), hopefully other people who use it in time will also be suitably impressed.

Really? That seems odd. I thought it was replacing the Elara/Alcora range. Admittedly I saw it before the software was going, but it didn't seem as grown up as a Frog...

...costs nearly as much as a Pearl.  If you were doing a R&R tour, which would you spec; a Zero or an Avo??

interesting question. What is the "industry standard" in UK. Here in Germany they all use MAs and perhaps JB's Licon1 (pretty the same to work with as MA's ScanCo) for R&R. I like the Frogs (and the support, of course), but I never saw them on a stage rider.

ciao

bemi

Impressed with the Jester desk (which in case anyone didn't know will be superseding the standard Frog), hopefully other people who use it in time will also be suitably impressed.

Really? That seems odd. I thought it was replacing the Elara/Alcora range. Admittedly I saw it before the software was going, but it didn't seem as grown up as a Frog...

It's a long time since I've used an Elara or Alcora, but the Jester can do many more things. Features such as the 12 (I think) controllable aux channels, so you can control colour scrollers, strobes, smoke machines etc, is a nice idea and probably the best implementation of the feature in the price range as the ETC Smartfade's are just one or off.

Other nice features for the price include:

Saving to USB memory stick

USB gooseneck lamp

Output to VGA

Sub flash buttons become a number keyboard for jumping cues, and a mobile hphone style keyboard for naming cues etc.

Ability to insert cues under a more traditional .1-.9 method

And probably more I've forgotten about...

And probably the best feature of the desk is the DMX In backup option, which can take snapshots of current states and replay (Yes I know the Smartfade does the same).

As Sam has mentioned there is lots of shift button pressing required, but thats about the only downside I could see of the desk. I would mention the brightly coloured Jester t-shirts, but I got a burgundy coloured one so I'm ok (!).

...costs nearly as much as a Pearl.  If you were doing a R&R tour, which would you spec; a Zero or an Avo??
interesting question. What is the "industry standard" in UK.

If it's a smaller rock and roll tour the Avolites Pearl is a favourite, and for the bigger ones it can be anything these days it seems - Hog 2/3s, Martin Maxyyz, Ma's etc etc

I think the Frog2 has quite a task to become a favourite amongst R&R programmers, it will probably take a long time to turn up on riders which ask the venue to provide a certain rig for them (say a choice of Mac2ks or Clay Paky Alpha's and then a Pearl or Diamond as a desk) or festival riders. Not to say it can't or won't do it, but I suppose a 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' mentality will prevail.

Stu

...costs nearly as much as a Pearl. If you were doing a R&R tour, which would you spec; a Zero or an Avo??

Well obviously a Pearl but there are still features I like on the Frog II like the User Def. Faders and User Def. Buttons.

I don't think that the jester is replacing the Frog range, I heard yesterday that it was to replace the Alcora/ Elara range which only a few years ago replaced the level range didn't it?

Sam

I don't think that the jester is replacing the Frog range, I heard yesterday that it was to replace the Alcora/ Elara range which only a few years ago replaced the level range didn't it?

This is what I was told yesterday while I was having on the demo on the desk - the standard, non-ML Frog is to be replaced by the Jester in the near future. Seeing as they are basically the same it doesn't make sense to still be producing the more expensive Frog when it doesn't do much more, if anything, than the cheaper Jester.

Stu

The Jester, as well as replacing the standard Frog can also be regarded as a desk that combines the two operating styles of the Alcora and Elara desks (ie GO button memory stack and submasters). It therefore sits nicely between the Alcora/Elara and the Frog range of desks :rolleyes:

*Prepares to offend Zero 88*

Very interesting. But don't you think the Frog (which may be similarly-featured) has a nicer "build quality" to it which makes it worth the extra money? Also, don't forget the 'looking a bit like a toy" factor. The Frog looks like it's more serious (which matters more in the hire market than you might think) than the little Jester.

Look at the Avo Azure/Azure Shadow/Pearl for examples of desks which are approximately the same in terms of features, but occupy different price points and build qualities.

PS. Thanks for the shirt! :rolleyes:

http://www.zero88.com/files/FrogLeftAng.jpghttp://www.zero88.com/files/Jester.jpg

*Prepares to offend Zero 88*

Very interesting. But don't you think the Frog (which may be similarly-featured) has a nicer "build quality" to it which makes it worth the extra money? Also, don't forget the 'looking a bit like a toy" factor. The Frog looks like it's more serious (which matters more in the hire market than you might think) than the little Jester.

That's a very good point Bryson and I am sure Graham will answer you when he gets back :unsure:

Where's my shirt :rolleyes:

Yes, thanks for the shirt Zero88 guys,

I agree on the build quality and look point that Byrson makes. The Frog does seem to feel more 'rugged' and proper, also functions are more accessible etc.

I do however like the backlit Go button on the jester, OK its gimmicky but its a nice touch!!

Sam

Archived