Powerpoint (again! I know!)

allymoss

The reason I am using a standard crossover cable and the plugin for PCStage is that:

It was done before

Just because it was done that way before doesn't mean it's the best way. Believe me, it isn't!

We have a crossover cable that was specially made for this hall!

Hmmm - crossover cables aren't exactly unusual...

We do not have a VGA cable at the moment.

Although, all very interesting reading and I might look into the wireless keyboard and mouse as these seems a simple idea for some students that arent very technically minded!

What size of hall is it? A typical wireless keyboard will have a reliable range of a few metres. Trying to use it from the back of a hall is madness.

The most reliable and robust solution will be cable-based. If you already have the crossover UTP in place, I'd be tempted to turn it into a straight-thru cable (either by reterminating or adding another short crossover and a back-to-back connector) and then use a pair of VGA-over-UTP boxes to distribute the signal.

But I guess this post is a bit pointless, as you seem to be set on doing things your way, rather than taking advice from people who have been there before. Which makes me wonder why you asked the question in the first place :rolleyes:

I see what you mean, I didn't actually know the software option at the beginning and I found that out.

I am reading all the posts and am noting each one but our school does not have a budget for lighting and sound for the stage so I have to work with what I have got most of the time. I would rather have a VGA lead and a second screen to hook up at the back which I would probably do if I had a cable!

I am forced to choose between VNC and This plugin for PCStage!

Wireless control around stage is not always a good idea , dimmers cause a lot of rfi and range is often reduced in this "noisy" environment.

I second the long vga cable as the solution.

We run a 50 metre cable to our projector from our control room and it is rock solid.

A trial on wireless was unreliable over the same range.

We did buy an amplifier/splitter to ensure a strong signal but in fact found that the basic Laptop output was fine so took the amplifier out (one less thing to go wrong).

Archived