Chain hoist

PSi

3m chain length, 1 tonne capacity, weigh about 10kg each, arrived very oily so needed a good clean. Just used them for a pub gig, adding additional lighting to supplement fixed installed rig. Reasonably easy to handle while rigging onto lighting truss from the top of a ladder (I used a length of chain around the truss with a shackle to connect the chain ends, then hooked the chain hoist hook into the shackle; ideal for hoisting a bar with a couple of moving heads and 4 other lights into place, much easier - and safer - than trying to lift the movers up and fix them to the overhead truss; the lifting chain tails were then dropped into bags and the hoisting (continuous) chain was wrapped around everything and shackled in place as a 'belt and braces' safety bond.) Good purchase.

Sorry to be a bit picky and I might have misunderstood but are you saying the load was left supported on the hoist with the hauling chain used as a safety? If so I'd suggest you'd be better off lowering the item back onto a rated roundsling, steel or similar. The hoist is presumably not designed for suspending a load above peoples heads; the hauling chain is presumably unrated and appears to have quite a long link length making it unsuitable for use as a safety.

I'd also use a soft roundsling or spanset around the truss to a bow shackle to save damage to the truss. As mentioned I would also look to have safeties on there too....

I strongly suggest you get a copy of Chris Higgs' book 'Introduction to Entertainment Industry Rigging". I think you will learn a lot from reading it, as well as some training from a reputable source.

Archived