Under 16's

robbie

I am 16. I have been working in theatres since 2005. I work for The Brit Youth Theatre, From The Top Theatre Company, SCLive Entertainment, Corpse Icorporated and I do technical theatre at school, (I also work on a childrens farm!!). I do not think that under 16s should be treated differently just because of their age, SOMETIMES we know more than some adults.

As far as I am aware under 16s acting on stage need a licence if they perform over 4 days in 6 months. Children working backstage do not need a licence.

Lewis

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi and welcome to the Blue Room

There are certain parts of this topic that state the LAW and other parts it is just pure speculation so be careful what you can and cannot do. I started volunteering at my local theatre when I was 14 doing odd followspotting here and there. Just be sure to pick out the right parts here.

We are treated differently because, I believe that we do not have the experience that others have.

James

In short, it is ILLEGAL for someone under 16 to work in certain pre-scribed places of work. Amongst these are abattoirs and theatres. End Of Story.

In certain circumstances, your LA may issue licences for productions to have U16s in the show.

Hi Lewis

I don't think anybody is necessarily doubting you competence or ability.

Nobody doubted Lewis Hamilton's driving ability from when he was very young but the fact still remains it was illegal for him to drive on the road until he was 17.

Cheers

Gerry

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't want to sound big headed or saying if I am or am not capable of doing the work :D .

My mom is a chaperone for children in theatres, she phoned up Birmingham Council and I was told that I didnt need a licence to work in a theatre and that it was legal for me to do so. I just think that backstaging (if thats a real word) is meant to be fun :D and enjoyed by all, not just adults.

10 seconds on A Well Known Search Engine gives us this result from Blackburn Council.

Prohibited employment

While you are at school you can not

* Work on a milk round

* Work in a cinema, theatre, dance hall, disco or night club

* Sell or serve alcohol and/or work in a pub

* Work in a petrol station

* Work in a commercial kitchen

* Undertake food preparation

* Collect or sort refuse

* Do any job which involves you being more than 3 metres off the ground, eg cleaning windows

* Do a job which might bring you into contact with harmful materials

* Call at people's houses to collect money

* Be exposed to adult rated material which is considered unsuitable for children

* Work in telephone sales

* Work in a slaughterhouse, abattoir or butcher's shop

* Work in a fairground or amusement arcade

* Work in 'personal care' such as in a residential or nursing home.

So, one of the councils is WRONG.

That is unless you are referring to participating in a "Children's Show" in which case the rules do get relaxed. However, that is NOT the same as "working in a theatre"!

My mom is a chaperone for children in theatres, she phoned up Birmingham Council and I was told that I didnt need a licence to work in a theatre and that it was legal for me to do so. I just think that backstaging (if thats a real word) is meant to be fun :D and enjoyed by all, not just adults.

Your mum is a chaperone because legally, they are needed. She has had to suffer the daft paperwork required for when children are in a theatre. This often happens - indeed at my venue, we tried to get a girl of 15 to work as an usher. The council when contacted said - no problem, then a day later in a panic they said NO - sorry.

I am 16. I have been working in theatres since 2005. I work for The Brit Youth Theatre, From The Top Theatre Company, SCLive Entertainment, Corpse Icorporated and I do technical theatre at school, (I also work on a childrens farm!!). I do not think that under 16s should be treated differently just because of their age, SOMETIMES we know more than some adults.

As far as I am aware under 16s acting on stage need a licence if they perform over 4 days in 6 months. Children working backstage do not need a licence.

Lewis

You've been working illegally - as simple (and common) as that! Under 16's are children and the Goverenment has decided they need protection. Sometimes, they think they know more than adults - we hear this all too often. In most cases, they know more, but lack the experience to act on it, or implement it in a mature way. when I worked in theatres when I was 15, I did things that were dangerous, and stupid - and as you say fun!

Backstage work can sometime be fun - but it isn't meant to be - it's a job, that hopefully you will enjoy.

At present the LAW says under 16's cannot work in a theatre. They can;t work in a commercial kitchen either (same law), but hundreds do. Ignorance is dangerous, because of the insurance aspect. If you are not covered, most employers would see this as more worrying than breaking a law that seems a bit odd!

I just think that backstaging (if thats a real word) is meant to be fun :D

Flying - not meant to be fun. Possible to kill people.

Firing pyros - not meant to be fun. Possible to maim people.

Electrical maintenance - not meant to be fun. Possible to electrocute people.

Stage Manager - responsible for the safety of everyone on the stage. A huge responsibility. Not a part of the job I'd call fun.

In fact, the job of every technical theatre member of staff is to support the production. One slip-up could turn an excellent show into an OK show, just because you brought the chair on at the wrong time or went to blackout half a second too early and lost a crucial movement on stage. Those of us professionals who actually care about the show do the job to help make the production as good as it possibly can be. Seeing a brillinat show that you've helped with can bring fantastic job satisfaction. I'm afraid fun is what you might have in a lunch break. Work is what you do backstage that helps create a good show which in turn helps bring a good feeling of "I helped make that happen".

Those of us professionals who actually care about the show do the job to help make the production as good as it possibly can be. Seeing a brillinat show that you've helped with can bring fantastic job satisfaction. I'm afraid fun is what you might have in a lunch break. Work is what you do backstage that helps create a good show which in turn helps bring a good feeling of "I helped make that happen".

Indeed.

I enjoy the majority of work I do in the theatre, it's still just that - work, even if I don't get paid for it.

There are elements that I do NOT enjoy particularly, but as with any job you take the rough with the smooth.

Fun?

I'd agree with JSB - the fun is what you have in the bar after the show, when no-one's life or reputation or whatever depends on you!

>SNIP<

Lewis

You've been working illegally - as simple (and common) as that!

>SNIP<

Hi Lewis,

It's a shame that a willing and enthusiastic teenager such as yourself is prevented from carrying on with an activity which you obviously enjoy, because of a (necessary) law to prevent the exploitation of children, which I suspect doesn't apply in your particular case.

And as you get older it doesn't get any better, you'll probably soon be joining the great motoring public when you, like the rest of us, will have to comply with driving strictly within the legal speed limits.

I'm afraid fun is what you might have in a lunch break.
I'd agree with JSB - the fun is what you have in the bar after the show, when no-one's life or reputation or whatever depends on you!
Wow! That's sad, I'm beginning to feel sorry for you two. If I didn't have some level of fun doing this, I'd damn soon find another way to waste my spare time. Not all of it is fun, but I enjoy most of my time in various theatres, both day job & hobby. I reckon that I can still have fun and be professional and attentive. I don't mean having fun "goofing off" or "having a lark", but just enjoying life.

And as you get older it doesn't get any better, you'll probably soon be joining the great motoring public when you, like the rest of us, will have to comply with driving strictly within the legal speed limits.
Yeah right! You too? :blink:

I'm afraid fun is what you might have in a lunch break.
Wow! That's sad, I'm beginning to feel sorry for you two. If I didn't have some level of fun doing this, I'd damn soon find another way to waste my spare time. Not all of it is fun, but I enjoy most of my time in various theatres, both day job & hobby. I reckon that I can still have fun and be professional and attentive. I don't mean having fun "goofing off" or "having a lark", but just enjoying life.

Yeah right! You too? :blink:

Although I do it rarely, and am very bad it, I find it real fun to busk the lights during a band gig.

Fun, in the sense of enjoying myself. The worst that can happen is that I mistime the 'flash', or choose a bad colour combination. The rigging and de-rig are not fun, but they can be enjoyable the pleasure of a well packed truck, or of a set stage where 4 hours before was a field etc.

I enjoy the majority of work I do in the theatre, it's still just that - work, even if I don't get paid for it.

There are elements that I do NOT enjoy particularly, but as with any job you take the rough with the smooth.

Fun?I'd agree with JSB - the fun is what you have in the bar after the show, when no-one's life or reputation or whatever depends on you!

In that case, you've misunderstood my sentiments (and likely JSB's too), as well as snipping perhaps the important part of my post... (I've re-inserted it above for clarity - my bold).

I read the 'definition' of 'fun' in this context as the larking about, maybe even irresponsibily, etc.

Like I said - I do enjoy many aspects of running a show, certainl I enjoy the buzz of a good show that goes well and entertains.

But regardless of whether you're an amateur or a pro, the bottom line is that we as technicians in particular have a serious job to do and some elements that we work with can be potentially dangerous to others as well as ourselves.

You can enjoy the effect of a good pyro, for example, but as soon as you start to have 'fun' with them, then you've maybe crossed a line that I'm not keen to cross.

Don't feel sorry for me! :blink:

Being a bit pedantic on the definition of the word, aren't we? Surely as a teenager; working with adults in a new environment to accomplish new, interesting, enjoyable tasks would be fun?

Flying - not meant to be fun. Possible to kill people.

Firing pyros - not meant to be fun. Possible to maim people.

Electrical maintenance - not meant to be fun. Possible to electrocute people.

Stage Manager - responsible for the safety of everyone on the stage. A huge responsibility. Not a part of the job I'd call fun.

A teenager doing casual work in a theatre wouldn't be doing any of those anyway - followspot op, dogsbody and possibly simple lighting operation is about as far as it goes, surely?

CC

Archived