Under 16's

robbie

just my 2p worth.

I actully started on stage and was in the cast for a number of shows untill I went to collage and found I liked back stage more.

of all the shows I was involed in one had a large cast of under 16 year olds. we had to be shaperoned at all times and we not able to put on more that one show a day (luckaly it was an out side show so clearing time was not a problem.)

I also did my work experiance with this theatre company at the same time. to get away with this (as I would basicly be working / rehursing for 12 - 15 hours a day in the final run up, I had to "work" for a seprate part of the company (PA to the director and producer who had to be crb checked first)

a panto I was resenctly involed in had 2 sets of children in the cast doing (at peek times ie sat) three shows a day between them.

I think it is only fair to allow children the chance to work in theatres aslong as they are not taken advantage of. my ideal would be to have the under 16 work with those who have been doing it a while to help.

not shore if this helps anybody or just gets in the way but thought I would throw my 2p in anyway

basicly its pritty much what your LA will let you do and each case has to be presented (according to a friend who is a shaperone) (I wish I could spell)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Being a bit pedantic on the definition of the word, aren't we? Surely as a teenager; working with adults in a new environment to accomplish new, interesting, enjoyable tasks would be fun?

Flying - not meant to be fun. Possible to kill people.

Firing pyros - not meant to be fun. Possible to maim people.

Electrical maintenance - not meant to be fun. Possible to electrocute people.

Stage Manager - responsible for the safety of everyone on the stage. A huge responsibility. Not a part of the job I'd call fun.

A teenager doing casual work in a theatre wouldn't be doing any of those anyway - followspot op, dogsbody and possibly simple lighting operation is about as far as it goes, surely?

CC

Well my venue won't let me rig or fire Pyro (under 18), and we don't have flys, but I have done the odd bit of maintainance, wiring plugs, replacing worn flex etc. My venus seems atypical in that we only have 2 full timers, so most shows are actually run my casuals.

As for it being fun, I would say it definantly is, I wouldn't work the nightmare shifts otherwise. Sure lugging a Midas Verona up a flight of stairs or carrying amps isn't exactly fun, but, as has been said, working in a challenging and dynamic environment, with people who are friendly, and keen to impart their knowledge to you, with input into an event that people pay to see, is great. It gives me a real buzz, and sure I'm keen to bolt up and get home at midnight, but I'm just as keen to arrive at work the next day.

Currently I haven't had ANY work since the end of November (Damn you contractually-based-full-time panto) and I'm really missing it. If it wasn't fun, I wouldn't be there at 9:30am for the get in, the money is nice, but at the end of the day I don't have to pay any bills, I don't need to work. But I still take almost any shift I'm offered.

TBH I think its peoples interpretation of the word fun. Some people think that fun also runs along side dangerous, unsafe, risky etc.

I for sure would not be in this game if I did not enjoy it. (I could earn more in another industry). I describe "fun" as enjoying the satisfaction of a succesful event / show, the wind down (in the bar!), the camaraderie etc.

However, I would not forsake H&S, RA, working at heights etc just to have some "fun".

I was lucky enough to start in this game under 16 (just) but I appreciate why the need for change has arisen and adhere to it in my daily life.

• 2 weeks later...
A teenager doing casual work in a theatre wouldn't be doing any of those anyway - followspot op, dogsbody and possibly simple lighting operation is about as far as it goes, surely?

Exactly. I'm fifteen and haven't done anything too demanding. I've started to help out with a couple of local theatre groups and I enjoy every minute of it, whether it being gelling a load of gel frames or running the show!

I'm fifteen and want to get into lighting for a career so I need experiance so where else to get it from than a real theatre? The back stage crew are all friendly and there's always someone watching over me and I've never done anything dangerous, just the basics. I mainly watch what the others do which can be just as helpful as doing it yourself, don't you think?

I'm fifteen and want to get into lighting for a career so I need experiance so where else to get it from than a real theatre? The back stage crew are all friendly and there's always someone watching over me and I've never done anything dangerous, just the basics. I mainly watch what the others do which can be just as helpful as doing it yourself, don't you think?

"What people think" is largely irrelevant here. The law says under 16's cannot work in a theatre in the UK.

The back stage crew are all friendly and there's always someone watching over me and I've never done anything dangerous, just the basics. I mainly watch what the others do which can be just as helpful as doing it yourself, don't you think?
Yep, that is indeed what I think. But, as Bruce says, that counts for diddly-squat as it is technically illegal. Joining an amateur company way be a way of gaining exposure and meeting people already experienced, without breaking the law.

*SNIP*don't you think?

"What people think" is largely irrelevant here.

Sorry, that was a figure of speech.

The law says under 16's cannot work in a theatre in the UK.

Does 'work' mean be employed by the theatre or does it mean any sort of work, such as helping out with a production?

In this context, work means carrying out duties, and pay or no pay won't matter. As in school work experience - if this is work, then so is helping out.

Annoying though it is, why can you not accept that not agreeing with a law, isn't sufficient to do it. If you are under 16, the sorry - but it's tough!

'Helping out with productions' isn't really work unless you have a contract (either written or verbal) or are being paid. In my opinion work shadowing and giving the odd hand here or there would be OK but I would stress that I am NOT a lawyer.

How about this then

List of prohibited employment:

While you are still of compulsory school age you can't:

* Work in a cinema, theatre, dance hall, disco or night club

* Sell or deliver alcohol

* Deliver fuel oils

* Work in a commercial kitchen

* Collect or sort refuse

* Do any job which involves you being more than three metres off the ground

* Do a job which may bring you into contact with harmful chemicals

* Collect money or sell or canvass door to door

* Be exposed to adult material which is considered unsuitable for children

* Work in telephone sales

* Work in a slaughterhouse, abattoir or butcher's shop

* Work in a fairground or amusement arcade

* Work in "personal care" in a residential or nursing home

And remember...

* You are considered to be employed whether you are being paid or not.

This I've retrieved from a local government advice leaflet to young people

Guess what? That is the THIRD time that list (in slightly different forms) has been copied into this thread.

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?s=&a...ost&p=20153

http://www.blue-room.org.uk/index.php?s=&a...st&p=211138

I too think it sucks , but that is the way it is. If anyone around me had known about this law, I'd missed out on my first year in the theatre. Followspotting, rigging and op'ing instead of revising for my "O" levels.

Archived