Comms over IP

A quick search in BR shows some people mentioning this but I can't find a whole topic so here goes...

Has anyone started making a network based comms system yet? or would it mean we'd all need a laptop on our belts alongside the leathermans and maglites? :angry: (I don't partake in this practice myself but you know what I mean)

surely this would solve a lot of capacity, expansion and integrating wireless and wired comms problems - many theatres are getting high speed waired and wireless networks put in for DMX, audio, video and just about everything else - is there room for VOIP in there as well?

Is it not the case that wired intercom loops have many restrictions in terms of capacity - and a VOIP system might be useful for larger venues? - but might require too much maintnance/setup for smaller situations?

Also as the radio frequencies are becoming exponentially crowded is it worth developing a reliable alternative before channel 69 et al.

I know some show control programs run a text-based messenger chat system but perhaps an IP-based comms/cuelight/cuelist server program should be written that allows remote comms devices to patch in without the help of a PC?

as many new mobile phones can access wireless LAN surely it wouldn't be that hard to develop a beltpack/radio sized thing that can either be plugged into LAN or access wireless networks?

I should probably start tapping out the patent application but I'm too stupid for that.

This was all a bit random so I'm going to stop now and open it up to the floor...

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It certainly can be done. Take any wifi enabled pocket device with an audio interface, someone who knows Java well and an asterisk server and it's all good. It's the actual devices that cost the money, and I'm guessing most of the people who would implement this as a hobby project couldn't afford to cover this sort of cost. If anyone does feel inclined to work on the device side of it, I'd be happy to help out with an asterisk dialplan. :angry:

but at $300 a station, it's not cheap at all.

It would surely have a cost advantage over intercom rings in new systems as it appears it can share a network with IT and other systems and would eliminate the need for a separate cable run. and don't forget that $300 is only about £6!

This link refers to a building comms system but shows that the units can be quite small

I'm wondering if custom beltpacks would be best or an application for a palm computer? - depends on how many of the things you can sell I suppose.

Powering the remote stations would be the next hurdle - I would avoid battery power if at all possible for wired stations - I know 100baseTx has spare pins on Cat5 but I would be concerned about other devices on the network if sending DC around the place - I would imagine that a seperate 13amp supply and transformer for each unit would also be a pain.

so how do we power our 'event comms over internet protocol' system?

and what can we call it? ecoip doesn't really mean anything.

Many Ethernet systems can supply up to 15.4W at 48vDC over existing cabling. This is the PoE (Power over Ethernet) standard defined as IEEE 802.3af. There are mutterings of being able to supply more. This is compatable with Fast Ethernet and Gig Ethernet and can be supplied by an in-line module or appropriate switches.

Regards

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Ive been using the Clearcom Matrix system with each operator/DSM/SM having a ICS92 unit which can be programmed in any configuration eg private link for DSM to Sound, Followspots to LX etc etc. There are 10 programmable config on each unit. This system with the Clearcom Cellcom wireless beltpacks is a very powerful tool .

Here is the link to the matrix3 PDF.

Clearcom Matrix3 system

• 11 months later...
I found this Comms over IP solution, http://www.intracomsystem.com/ on a link from Best Audio http://www.bestaudio.com

Looks like an interesting product, providing a full matrix style intercom system based around a bunch of standard PC's with soundcards.

Neil

Hi, Mi Broadcast is the UK distributor for Intracom and you are welcome to contact us outside of this forum via our website www.tac4.com

Robert

It would surely have a cost advantage over intercom rings in new systems as it appears it can share a network with IT and other systems and would eliminate the need for a separate cable run. and don't forget that $300 is only about £6!

NOOOOOO!!!!!!

Just because something runs over ethernet, does not mean you can (or rather should) dump it down the same network as every other thing running in the venue. Sure, it will work, but the performance impact of such a move can be horrendous. Comms should be a dedicated network, DMX over Ethernet on their own network, show control, separate, audio over ethernet (ie cobranet), separate.

As a PS; many of the matrix intercom systems run over cat5 - but are not ethernet based - from memory CC matrix3 and rtsintercom are both able to be run over cat5 but are not ethernet (aka "over IP")

I'd suggest that a dedicated IP network for comms is probably overkill. The bandwidth requirements are going to be relatively low. As long as you know the characteristics of the network, and that it's properly provisioned, then it should be fine.

Vlanning wouldn't make much difference in this case - it's more for administrative/operational purposes than for performance. However, some form of traffic prioritisation may be beneficial.

You wouldn't even use or suggest using VLANning? So maybe Comm, Production PCs and Cue Lights share a physical cable, but are seperate VLANs? Then another physical network for Audio, another for LX etc etc

Sure - but the whole "It's ethernet, we just use our corporate network which already exists" method (which seems to be what a hell of a lot of people want to do) is what I am against. The main thing is to be able to dedicate the required bandwidth for each system - and whilst comms to the station may not take up much bandwidth, out of the switch it may need a full pipe so VLANing will work in those situations, but the 'slap dash' networks (which tend to be one of the two extremes that I have seen in theatre networks) are often not capable of it.

The VOIP Intracom system has been used with good success on very heavily loaded ethernet systems as long as the total system has a good connection. Take a look at a screen shot video of a show HERE using the system to interconnect 6 venues (3 Riedel digital intercom systems, 2 RTS and 1 McCurdy) On this show most sites had dedicated DSL lines but the main site with the McCurdy system was on a corporate network with over 100 computers during a normal work day.

The Intracom system is a real matrix system not a "Skype" type communication. point to point, party line, paging, audio inputs, telephone interfaces, and 4 wire interfaces are all accomidated.

Archived