Talkback/Comms DIY Kit

cfmjohn

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I found a great site for the Com Clone Stuff and I am about to embark on a 10 Box System using his schematics.

That'll be the one I mentioned (not explicitly - but it is the first google hit for "comclone") in the 5th post in this thread :)

But keep us posted. It'll be interesting to find out how well these units work - there have been several discussions on them, but very few people have said "here's one I made earlier, and here's how it compares to the real thing..."

And make sure you read cedd's comments in this thread

Difficult site to navigate in order to find more info, but does look interesting. Would be particularly interested in seeing the pin-out protocal to see how it tied in with other systems. Doesn't use very standard terms but might be of use. More info required than the site will give!

• 2 weeks later...
These units were a project published by an Australian magazine, Silicon Chip, in June 1992. I have made a few of these and they work well and are compatible with Jands talkback units. Theye are housed in a snap together case that is fidly to modify for the pcb to fit, otherwise assembley is straight forward for someone that can solder. The receive audio gain is a bit high which means the cans are prone to feedback if you put them on a desk with the mic open.

Nothing from them so far, but my email was playing up earlier this week. I'll try them again.

Don't suppose you heard anything? I also dropped them a line, and I'm yet to hear anything.

• 2 weeks later...

I finally got a reply from them on Friday.

Delivery for 1 PSU and 6 packs will be $87 AUS, which is approx £45.

That means I will still get change out of £300.

Bargain!

Rob

• 5 months later...

Resurrecting this topic....

I placed an order for 1 x PSU and 6 x beltpacks yesterday with the Australian firm.

The prices have changed slightly - its now $513 AUS total, plus shipping.

I'm now waiting to hear confirmation of total cost and delivery time. I will post again when I have the kits in my grubby paws.

All I then need to do is convince my pet solder monkey that he fancies building them all up for me. :-)

Rob

• 2 weeks later...
These units were a project published by an Australian magazine, Silicon Chip, in June 1992. I have made a few of these and they work well and are compatible with Jands talkback units. Theye are housed in a snap together case that is fidly to modify for the pcb to fit, otherwise assembley is straight forward for someone that can solder. The receive audio gain is a bit high which means the cans are prone to feedback if you put them on a desk with the mic open.

I got curious about these beltpacks and ordered the reprint from Silicon Chip magazine. They arrived this morning and a quick scan of the schematic shows that there is no hybrid circuit. This means there is no sidetone cancellation. It's no wonder they howl when the headset is taken off.

Archived