XLR4 patch cable

Alexb_01

This question may well just be because I haven't looked into the subject enough, please correct me if this is the case.

I am trying to source an XLR4 patch cable so I can get a canford headset to stretch far enough from the canford unit to reach our mixer. I have had some quick searches on the internet and just cant seem to be able to source them.

Is this just a lost cause or are they out there?

Many Thanks,

Alex

I am trying to source an XLR4 patch cable so I can get a canford headset to stretch far enough from the canford unit to reach our mixer. I have had some quick searches on the internet and just cant seem to be able to source them.

A word of warning on this, I've had some issues with extending headset cables causing the system to go unstable and start oscillating - YMMV.

As said, you'll need to buy the constituent parts and fabricate the cable yourself.

Thanks for all your replies so far...

Judging by what you say these cables seem to have a mind of their own ** laughs out loud **....

So I guess my best bet is to phone up Canford.

Incidentally I found a cable someone had made up ages ago lying around which was XLR4 to some kind of funny DC looking adapter. Maybe I will take a picture on Monday and see if any of you can help figure out what it was for.

Thanks for the confirmation, Paul. As I typed the above I became acutely aware that I retired from the broadcast industry almost five years ago now and suddenly had qualms about the accuracy of making a flat-out statement (hence my qualification). At the time I retired, there was certainly a lot of prosumer stuff (not fitting the standard) being used for far too much production and I worried this trend had accelerated.

Bob

In terms of cable choice I have found starquad mic cable to work well at lengths of up to 2m. Interspace industries supplied starquad for the coms interface on their mastercue cue light system (which inserts inbetween the headset and beltpack), so I used it when I made some extenders and adaptors for my comms. A jack to XLR-4 (male or female depending on your make of comms) wired correctly and you can use your same headset as straight headphones, albeit by removing your headset from the comms line.

I intended to use one of the two XLR-4 connections on the front of the main unit.

But now that I think about it can I may aswell do what boatman said and add another beltpack in the ring before the signal is sent round the various places in the theatre. This is presuming we have some spare beltpacks which I think we do. That will work fine won't it?

Yup, that'll work fine.

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have had problems with the system going unstable - I too found 2m to work but 3m to not, and haven't had the time/inclination to really work out why, and have had some better results by using starquad, but that's only feasible for mounting an XLR4 on the wall nearer the desk...

I'm glad I'm not the only one to have had problems with the system going unstable - I too found 2m to work but 3m to not, and haven't had the time/inclination to really work out why, and have had some better results by using starquad, but that's only feasible for mounting an XLR4 on the wall nearer the desk...
The reason a com system can go unstable is because in that headset cable is an unbalanced Hi-Z mic and a relatively high level earpiece feed that has the mic signal in it. Too much cable causes crosstalk, which causes feedback. The screen on the cable only sheilds against RFI, not the electromagnetic signal transfer between the 2 cable sets. Eletromagnetic rejection comes from balanced signals and twisted pairs.

Mac

Archived