Showtec Multidim repairs

michael6388

• 4 years later...

Hi,

I have a Showtec Multidim IEC MKII that I am having to repair. However the fault I have is not a blown triac - the channel just doesn't do anything (i.e. no power); the indicator LED doesn't show and the channel doesn't respond. I have done the usual double checks on the fuse, etc but can't get it to respond.

The DMX side of the box is responding but, as stated above, the indicator LED for the 4th channel doesn't show.

I am having to swap some triacs in the same box, so wonder whether there has been some other issue.

Any ideas on this would be very welcome as this is a well used piece of kit and I would like to get it up and running.

Many thanks.

There will be an opto isolator associated with each triac, these can also be damaged by a fault. The channel LED not lighting suggests the low voltage side of the opto may be damaged, possibly even the processor output pin. This is not fixable unless you can get a replacement (programmed) processor.

There will be an opto isolator associated with each triac, these can also be damaged by a fault. The channel LED not lighting suggests the low voltage side of the opto may be damaged, possibly even the processor output pin. This is not fixable unless you can get a replacement (programmed) processor.

Hi timsabre,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

I thought about the opto-isolator and had ordered some, just in case. The good news is that the triacs and the optos are all fairly cheap components, which are easily replaceable and easy to get to.

The processor looks OK but I haven't, yet, been able to test its output for that channel (lack of time). The processor was my worse-case scenario - so I am hoping that I don't have to phone up Showtec/Highlite, again. It looks like they are still using the same eeprom & program in the current version of the box (although I might have to learn Netherlandse).

Again, many thanks.

Archived