Brooke Products

Unknown Enemy

If their product is built to the same standard as their (appallingly bad) website, then I wouldn't consider them :)

What do you know about the product? It's a relatively unknown brand. Have you seen it? Heard it? It comes from a company, who you've tried to contact, and they haven't replied. What does that say about their customer service? They publish specs, but no prices. Their website contains no "real" contact details whatsoever - no phone number or address. Hmmmm...

Think about these things, then decide whether that's where you want to spend your money.

(One other thing that jumped out from the spec - they apparently use "2 x Speakcon® type sockets") Hmmmm again.

They are good speakers
How do you know that? A few hours ago, you were asking for opinions on them, now you're telling us that they're good!

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally, I think you've maybe answered your own questions. As Bruce says they have little creditable info on their web presence, and not too many people profess here to have heard of/come across the company.

And as Gareth says if you're looking for something to use in a professional situation then why are you even considering "buying one to see what happens"? If you don't have money to burn (and who here has...?) then that's potentially throwing a bunch of cash into the fire IF they don't match your needs.

Even in an amateur venue like ours, we've only ever bought kit that we've heard before purchase or that come with a pedigree that's WELL known. (OK - not quite, I got a pair of wedges off Ebay recently on a whim, but as I got them for around £100 the pair I deemed that a HUGE bargain, even if twas a small risk, but it did pay off as they're not a bad set of monitors, to be honest :)).

Our main house PA - Nexo PS100 - on the other hand was demo'd by the supplier for a day at their cost. Will this company do likewise?

I definitely wouldn't buy speakers without hearing them - just the same as I wouldn't buy lanterns without seeing what they could do.

thats the point of this thread. I need to upgrade but I dont fancy buying big names like EV, Mackie, JBL ect. They are good speakers but I dont have that kind of money right now.

Just how can you be sure that, based on the vague and not overly impressive spec on the website that these speakers amount to an upgrade? Unless you can arrange to actually see the build quality and hear the sound (or at least find somebody reliable who has already done so) then I wouldn't touch them with a bargepole.

If your budget doesn't stretch to EV, Mackie or JBL (which are already low-end speakers) then consider Thomann or Behringer which are cheaper again and known quantities.

Bob

Brooke ... are aiming at the mid to high class product sector so I wouldnt think you could class them as cheap and cheerful as they dont want to go down this route!!

Their rep came to see me a few weeks back.... definitely got the idea that they were cheap, chinese and cheerful :) :off:

Yep, £275 for a 1x15 sub isn't going to worry the likes of Martin and Nexo is it?

Product pricing here.

the online shop did offer to give me a demo but I dont think I can go. well I live near london (kent) and this place is in coventry, about 2.30 hours drive for what, a few hlours listening to a speaker that I might or might not buy.

I thought ev anc mackie were medium spec speaker???

plus I dont think behringer speaker are all that. they say a speaker is 1600 watts but is you read the manual its only 400 rms and I need somthing along the lines of 800 minimum as I have 2x 400 watt rms active speakers. just want to balance the sound out.

and I know about spl and all that stuff. ** laughs out loud **

You really must get things straight.

You can't get info from the on line shop, then you say they offered a demo.

You ask complete strangers for opinion, yet can't be arsed to travel a few miles to hear the things you are going to spend decent money on.

you sprout specs, then make silly statements.

And asking us us if we rate DB Technologies? Yes we do, but this means nothing without a context.

If you could work out what it is you want us to help with, we'll try, but everytime we give some kind of response, you change the question - which is really wasting our time - see what I mean?

and I need somthing along the lines of 800 minimum as I have 2x 400 watt rms active speakers. just want to balance the sound out.

and I know about spl and all that stuff. ** laughs out loud **

You won't be interested in anything that a pro company such as Turbosound do then? eg TSW721 = 600 w RMS total AND THAT'S A 21 INCHER that will do 137db!!. That'll sound good in the local working mens club!! :o

I didnt say I cant be bothered, I dont fancy traveling 200 miles. that why. thats a 400 mile round trip and as I have a small 1.2 petrol car this would cost me to much money just to listen to a speaker. I think ill look at other makesand for the db sub its 800 watts and create 133db from a 15"

just to note that I cannot get anything from Brooke-Products but a online shop who sell brooke-products have offered me a demo but I cant afford to go up there.

Oh come on! Did you go to PLASA? a long way to go and look for THOUSANDS of people!

Would you buy a car without a test drive, or even a chance to kick the tyres?

It's your money and you can spend it how you like, but don't ask us to help if you can't even be bothered to listen to what you want?

Brooke = unheard of company, making loudspeakers that nobody has listened to? How can we advise anything other than go and listen?

They could be good, or bad - you will never know!

Yes, 133db at 1m from an inexpensive 98dB 15" box is certainly possible.

You'll need an amp rated at 3160watts and a fire extinguisher.

Having destroyed several samples (with far less power) from the few hundred I've tested over the years I guess such a fiasco could be modestly entertaining.

Try before you buy!

• 6 months later...

I know what you mean about the £'s unknown enemy.

I would say not a bad looking cab at all, does the manufacturer compare the sound of these to anything that we may know?

" Don't knock it until you try it" is what I have come to believe, they may be very good,

even if they are out of a DJ shop.

John Denim.

A concurrent post has been automatically merged from this point on.

I had posted without reading all of the pages. :P (again!)

You say " mixed in with nexo" Paul?

Is there a more popular brand out there that you can compare them too?

John denim.

Archived