Filament lamps to be made obsolete

Guest lightnix

Not precisely no....

:lock:

No idea how to make a clicky but... http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7016020.stm

Its a new vote grabbing attempt to appeal to the hippies, coming from that thing in bornemouth this week. (me? cynical? nooo!)

Although as discussed before will be just be effecting d0mest1cs. Not us.

edit:

OOO... self clicky!

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As previously discussed, I have many light fittings that CFL's just wil not fit. Also, if they think I'll be putting something that ugly in a glass chandeiler, well they know where they can shove them... I'll be stock-piling 40W candle bulbs.

The major flaw with the CFL is the warm up time, they take several minutes to get to a useful light level, making them useless on the stairs and landing etc, unless you leave them on all night, which kind of defeats the object. (I'm sure I read somewhere that they are only efficent when used for a minimum of about 1/2 an hour at a time. From experiance they don't like being swicthed on and off all the time.

Having heard a little more on later news bulletins, it seems it is just traditional light bulbs which are being phased out, I suppose traditional being the operative word.

Shouldn't therefore affect us theatre chappies except I hear that the first to go will be the 150watt light bulb and two of the Town Hall venues we use still have Strand S type battens which take a 150watt traditional light bulb.

Shall we have to get illegal imports from some shadey guy down a back street late at night "Awww come on man, pleaseeeee I really, really need a 150watt incandesant, you've got to let me have one, I'll do anything" :lock:

Yeah, we don't think much of your 150W bulbs, we can get 200W off the supermarket shelves. Good for lightning fx ;)

Dimmable CFLs are now available; they are, of course, a miracle of the microprocessor, they analyze the waveform of the power supplied, from the SCR chop work out what level of illumination is desired, and then run the tube at the appropriate power level.

Whilst I agree with Tomo's point, I think we're all missing one very important point here -

The manufacturers of the electrictry itself!.

We're all talking about saving electricity - - - - to them, this is a loss. If we are all going to start saving electricity on a massive scale, then where are the power companies going to increase their profits from ... they're not gonna post a loss, after all the shareholders need their dividend payments, and next year has to be better than last year......

Don't worry; the increased price of electricity will more than offset the volume losses :)

Does anyone actually think we would have got to this stage with so much money being put into development and cost reduction and so many people actually thinking about saving energy if it wasn't for the threats of imminent legislation? I know which answer my money's on.

Now if only someone could threaten to outlaw non sine wave dimmers I'd be most grateful. ;)

The general trend with electricity companies is sometimes to fool people. They will gladly help you save energy by offering free energy saving bulbs, but on the other hand when you approach them about options for installing a shower, they always talk you into putting in a 9kW electric shower rather than a mixer shower that runs off your gas combi (which uses less energy).

Thats how they make their money! I have seen it myself from their sales reps, until you explain that a 9kW shower is like having 90 normal 100 watt bulbs on at the same time.

Its not only the Electricity Cos that are making the money either, a CFL costs more so therfore has a higher VAT component than an incandescent, all lamps now have a surchagre (stealth tax) added as part of the WEEE Regulations and the charge for flourescents is higher (I'm paying 0.15p per fluorescent lamp) as they have more harmfull components.

I think this Gov. has created lots un-necessary schemes to raise revenue through VAT, The Home Sellers Information Pack, almost everyone says it won't help house sales but at £400.00+ a pop how much VAT is it generating.

Part P of Building Regs, hasn't stopped the cowboys, but all those registartion fees and training fees for sparkies and then the actual testing and Certification costs, all have VAT added.

better go I'm satrting to RANT

It'll be interesting to see what effect the phasing out of domestic filament lamps has on the marketplace for theatrical filament lamps. The drop in demand for tungsten may result in a price increase for remaining lamps; combined with new developments in discharge lamps and LED technology - if you've been to Plasa recently, you'll have seen the range of LED fixtures now on the market - it could be that the writing is on the wall for 'traditional' theatrical lighting and all that goes with it - gels, dimmer packs, etc. Should give LD's an interesting new challenge...

I think you will find that if demand goes down so does the price and I suspect that few of us will live long enough for led technology come close to replacing tungsten theatre lighting.At the present rate a practical led theatre light is years away then many more years for the price to come down and this assumes that leds will continue to improve and not reach some technical limit.

- it could be that the writing is on the wall for 'traditional' theatrical lighting and all that goes with it - gels, dimmer packs, etc. Should give LD's an interesting new challenge...

I sincerely hope not :) LED units have their place. In my opinion it is just like manufacturers are falling over themselves just like as in the "me too" line-array stakes. I worked on one show where all the Par Cans had been replaced with LED fixtures and I thought it looked ******* awful; even the warm colour spectrum looked cold. Beam shape and definition was practically nil.

I know they are not as power hungry as traditional fixtures but that's not the point, LED's are cool as an effect or special but they are not in the same league as tungstens and reflectors. I'm sure a lot of theatre and rock'n'roll LD's will agree with me even though I'm not a lampy.

Yes, they are eco-friendly and can do a squillion colours but that's errrr about it really.

it could be that the writing is on the wall for 'traditional' theatrical lighting and all that goes with it - gels, dimmer packs, etc. Should give LD's an interesting new challenge...

I can't help feeling we are into the realms of "aarg - they are going to outlaw the 15a Plug" territory (est. 1980's - present)

Yes, PLASA was chock full of LED products of dubious merit but it also had the usual "new" hook clamp design and some folding/stacking/inflatable truss (ok, not that last one) that seems to have been happening since forever.

We are still using traditional hook clamps and truss that is still, for the most part, square or triangular sections of alloy welded to together. Grelcos haven't changed much either, except that don't last as long as they used to.

Traditional theatrical lighting, however, was rubbish compared to a Source 4 (being gas powered) and technical progress keeps giving up better ways of lighting the stage. Many of the fixtures in a lighting rig don't use traditional bulbs or Triac dimmers already. So, we are already using engery efficient light sources.

The fact that a lot of LED products are tosh doesn't mean that all is lost! LED's will hit the wall of the laws of physics just like everything else does but stage lighting will continue anyway. Stage lighting is only about where is comes from and what it hits at the other end - the rest is irrelevant.

Perhaps we should all use fibre optics, powered by a huge sun condenser on the roof of the venue. Then, on a cloudy day, we could switch on the Sodiums and go to the pub.

I mentioned this before:

Theatrical and TV illumination is an Industrial Process, and therefore is not affected by legislation regarding workplace or domestic illumination.

I'm fairly sure that if a bill attempted to pass Parliament that outlawed tungsten lamps in industrial processes, the uproar would be immense - we aren't the only industry that relies on tungsten for our business.

Most shrinkwrap machines use this technology, because steam doesn't work too well!

(And that guy who wrote Phantom knows how to generate publicity when required)

Archived