SPL in Youth Spaces

smalljoshua

There are only 2 Speakers the ones by the Sofas so I can't
turn off the speakers by the sofas and just leave the ones by the dance floor on.

But earlier you said that

the speakers are part of a 5.1ch surround system

So where are the other speakers?

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the rear speakers are admittedly by the dance floor but they are only 6" cabs at 50w and are linked directly to the rear output of the surround decoder where as the front gets fed by the stereo mixer of which one of the inputs are the front channels of the surround the front speakers are the only ones that the DJ mix is fed to.

Edit:- Spelling

These speakers look (although the spec isn't clear) like they have peizo bullet HF units. If so - these are well known for having very harsh HF - cymbals take your head off!

You mention you have already replaced them. Why? If they died - then that's a good indication that they've been overdriven - AND - if this is happening the sound at those levels will be VERY distorted. Piezo horns driven hard are simply nasty. The room is long and thin. Trying to get decent level at the far end is bound to make people at the other end cringe! You have a system that isn't capable of producing what you want, in that particular space. If you want to find out what it sounds like, do a recording in the room on a decent recorder/mic of the sound from the speakers at the listening position. Do it twice, one at low volume, then again at max volume making sure the mic can handle the volume and the recorder isn't adding any distortion of it's own (mic pads etc). Have a listen. I reckon what you record of the loud sound will sound really bad. Draw your own conclusions.

We've replaced both of them because one died. Stage Electrics replaced them with JBL tweters which took the edge off a bit but admittedly it's not the best setup. I don't personaly like the setup and want to move these closer to the dance floor and get new speakers for the DVD 5.1 Surround

Compressor/limiters can be found for less than £100 from our German friends. http://www.thomann.de/gb/behringer_mdx_260...oser_pro_xl.htm

If you're considering the budget for more speakers, you should be able to get one of those first, and set a limit for the system where it isn't distorting. I suggest locking the comp in a cupboard to prevent the 'morons' from altering the settings.

(edit) You'll probably then find that the speakers aren't loud enough at the dance floor end. Ideally you need to move the cabs so they are where you need the sound, either by buying more speakers, or moving them as they are needed.

get new speakers for the DVD 5.1 Surround

I think seperating the two systems would be by far the best idea. I used to work at an arts centre where the amps & cabs were shared between the film projection sound system and the live music side. It was always messy. If you could get an independant system for your disco type applications, installed in the right location, preferably with a system controller that can be password protected to limit the maximum levels you can get out of it, it would greatly simplify things.

Quite a lot of numbers here.

You have to move your speakers or your dance floor though. Having the people who want it quiet closer to the speakers than those who want it loud is an impossible one to solve.

If possible, I'd look at getting the speakers in the middle of the room pointing towards the dance floor. Is it not possible to move them there for these events, possibly using some extra speaker leads?

.. they are bolted to the wall plus where as the budget allows for £70 for a limter it wont allow for £100-£200 for a new set of speakers for the surround system.

But moving the speakers would probably cost a fiver for new fixings....plus maybe some longer cables...

I will try that on friday. But the main fear is that before we put them up on the wall 6-7 people worked out how to disconnect the speakon and put it in upside down or move the speakers (Imature I know but thats how some of them are with almost new stuff) that is the main reason for wall mounting them also now they cant be used as tables and have drinks spilt over them. As I said earliyer I will do so on friday.

Archived