Home Made Smoke Chiller

Guest joewhite903

Guest joewhite903
Good idea about Lematrie we have an account with them might phone them tommorow,But I am really starting to worry bout using CO2 cause one thing that has dawned on me is that after re-looking over my 2stage regulator the tank pressure guauge goes up Extremmly high 140bar/2000PSI now I know how sore it is to get 15bar off pressure on ur leg, I really wouldnt trust anybody else near the tank in case it was fiddled with, I dont mind working with the output off 7bar but not 140, might have to use it for sumthing else or sell the regulator to stop me from having other ideas. thanks guys anyway. joe

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Actually you'll usually find the cylinder pressure can reach 3000 PSI before the rupture disk goes and it empties its contents violently into your venue. This can happen if the cylinder gets too hot or was overfilled and is of course one of the reasons why cylinders must always be secured.

As somone who has worked with and made smoke chillers in the past I can't urge you enough to stop what you're doing and scrap the whole idea. Just from the componants you've said you've got thus far I can see you have completely misunderstood the core principles of CO2 cooling and at the very best it's going to be an expensive misadventure for you - much more likely there will be injurys and damage caused. you've got the wrong sort of tank, the wrong sort of CO2, the wrong regulators (all of these could result in major injury) and you're talking about using them in completely the wrong way to achieve the chilling effect.

The beer flash-chiller idea is an interesting one but I'd lay odd's you'd burn it out in no time at all - they're designed to take a relatively small quantity of liquid from ambiant cellar temp (10 deg) down to a chill point of 3-4 degrees. To chill smoke you're taking a vapour from 90deg down to zero - it's a totally different league and I'd be very suprised if that sort of tolerance is built in to a cheep mass-produced chiller.

If you need one-off heavy fog effect use the ice bucket method (there's hundreds of sites online that'll show you how to make a chiller out of household junk that is perfect for this situation), for occasional use the ice-based comerical heavy fog units (Zoom, antari, batmink, source etc) are suprisingly effective if you spend a little time learning how to use them and will only cost you £250. If it's a regular fog gig then Antari do a nice freezer plant unit for £2k, you can buy a Jem all in one freezer system for £4k and there's plenty of other comparable systems on the market.

Guest joewhite903
Thanks for that last message thats the sort off info ive been after , definetly not using the co2 anymore. will try the Ice cold chiller as far as im aware it has two chilling coils and goes down to -11, wasnt planning on running the smoke through the acctuall refridgeration plant going to make it all into a flight case with sepperate coils and continuse flowing chilling fluid

Archived