Wheelchair access to stage

Johnno

Ok, there seems to be a concerted effort to get this lady onto the the stage at any cost, by any means.

Has anyone done a RA?

Yes there are many unothordox/novel but safe ways to get her up there but what happens in the event of having to evacuate the building. Will these systems and personel be in place and readily available to get her off stage and to a safe place.

I assume the venue in general will have procedures for the well being of wheel chair bound patrons in the event of an evacuation ie a refuge or refuge area, but as the current problem doesn't appear to have arisen before I doubt whether there will be any documented procedures for this situation and hence the Fire Regs may be compromised.

EDIT: for spelling, grammar.

I hope that the experience has enlightened the school as to the access issues that are faced in the venue (and indeed around the rest of the school). I also hope that serious consideration will be given by senior management to enabling wheelchair users access to the stage. I am told that there are a range of grants and other sources of money available for installation of disabled access, and this would be the prime example to cite in any application of why it is required.

Being a school I assume that some kind of student activity occurs on the stage, be it productions, musical events etc. What would happen if a student that was a wheelchair user joined the school? Would they be exempt from such activities? The DDA and SENDA act are quite clear that reasonable adjustments should be made in an anticipatory manner. The fact that there are no wheelchair users (or other students with specific special needs) does not mean that no action is needed until there are.

Anyway, just thought that I would follow up the successful event and encourage this event to be the catalyst for adjustments to be seriously considered. Again, I will extend the offer of providing some help and advice to anyone that may need it regarding performers with disabilities, and their specific need. Please PM me if you need to know anything.

What would happen if a student that was a wheelchair user joined the school? Would they be exempt from such activities?

Again, I will extend the offer of providing some help and advice to anyone that may need it regarding performers with disabilities, and their specific need.

Thanks for the offer, I'll bookmark you.

The school often has children in wheelchairs, and on crutches. We have a variety of facilities for them as well as adult assistants.

The only thing that I think would be reasonable for wheelchair access to the stage would be a lift. The stage is one metre high, the thrust stage six inches lower when it's set up. A ramp of suitable slope would be rather long, although one could possibly be run along the stage left wall and then turn ninety degrees to meet the apron in place of the stairs. It would look a right mess though as the hall is used as a canteen and two hundred and fifty chairs and the thrust frames are stacked along that wall when they're not in use. Stage right wall is all window so I vote for a lift. Will the school spend £7k? I'm not holding my breath; but I think they should have hired one for a guest speaker presenting prizes to the children. Tight wads!

Edit: Comma added. This is a normal occurrence. Please remain in your seats.

Edit #2: Comma changed to semi-colon. You may panic.

I'm not holding my breath; but I think they should have hired one for a guest speaker presenting prizes to the children. Tight wads!

I agree. All credit to the lady concerned for her Dunkirk spirit in getting herself up the stairs, but its embarrassingly crap that she had to do that.

The school will likely not fit a permanent ramp for the space taken up for occasional use and the opportunity for miscelaneous "skateboard" incidents. Also a permanent ramp needs handrails toe boards etc.

They likely will not fit a powered or mechanical device for the need (ongoing cost!) for LOLER (etc) inspections and the need for an independant power source in case of power failure.

The ambulance option includes a folding stow-away ramp or a vehicle tail lift for passengers (RICON in Manchester do them among others)

Look at ambulance conversion companies for ramp suppliers.

Archived