Best handheld torch on the market

meyerm3d

Guest lightnix

Ultra-bright torches backstage, at least during a show will make you no friends at all :)

The Inova X0 is a fine piece of kit, although I'm not 100% confident that the glass lens would take showbiz abuse.

For my money, the Gerber Infinity Ultra (at about 1/3rd of the price) is probably the idea backstage torch. Single white LED; 25 hours regulated light from a single AA battery and as bullet proof as they come.

€0.02

I favour the AA mini-maglite, the light is ample for most short range tasks, the price moderate, and I have never broken one, though I have lost a few.

Several suppliers sell LED conversion units for the maglights, some are brighter than the supplied bulb, others are dimmer but greatly extend the battery life.

Note that maglite have recently introduced an improved bulb for mini-maglites, the improved bulbs are green at the base, where the glass joins the pins. These new bulbs are brighter and longer lasting than the originalls. Many retailers are still selling the old ones.

The surefire G2 and other models are very well made and very bright, probably too bright for many theatre applications. The bulbs and batteries are also extremly expensive unless purchased on line.

The reason the Surefire website is militaristic is because they make tactical flashlights and weapon lights for the self-defense and militatry markets.

Eg:

http://www.specwargear.com/images/Update%20Sept/laser-MEUSOC-surefire-1.jpg

Personally, I use a AA maglite with a lanyard and a tissue paper diffusing filter.

CC

Andy's Surefire is very, very nice. I think I'll get one for myself.

The website is disturbingly militaristic, though.

surefire are fab I use them but I stopped useing them backstage as I remember very clearly a voice over the comm's set asking me what idiot was shineing a torch accross the stage!

very powerfull pieces of kit

bare in mind there main custom is the milatary and special forces hense your website comment!

Surefire`s history is in making laser sights hence the miltary bent:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surefire

Super bright, super expensive, and cost of batteries and spare lamp assemblies makes your wallet wilt.

Gerber Infinty Ultra is great choice, cheap and easy to feed, AA batteries easy to find. Lithium 123s used by things like Surefire are expensive unless you stock up.AAAs dont have as good a power density ratio of AA.

Maglite`s make a great host for an LED, Teralux make some very good maglite drop ins, a reputable trader ;-)

http://www.wavicle.biz

• 2 weeks later...

Just bought a genuine Maglite AA LED and I have to say I'm a bit disappointed; light output is better than the normal maglites but nowhere near as good as the cheap Italian LED Lenser torch I got from 7dayshop for about £12. Lenser even fits in the maglite hole on my leatherman pouch even though its much smaller.

For outdoor work I've always use Petzl gear. Bought a XP at the start of the summer which is brighter than the headlights on my Landrover!

In fact, most of the flashlights you have mentioned is not very good quality or high-tech (exept of the Fenix and the Surefire mentioned)

What I would recommend for most of us is Fenix lights due to that they are not outrageously expensive as the Surefires but still very good.

A good reliable source for them is:

Fenix-store.com

Another one is:

Lighthound.com

I carry a L1D CE in my belt as my EDC (Every-Day-Carry) and use it several times a day, and would recommend this light for everyone that needs a small light that has a good light output. If you do not mind the little larger size (still not bigger than 2AA Maglite) you can get the L2D CE, the really great thing about these is that they are very bright on the higher level but can be set to a quite low-level too for long runtimes when you do not need so much light and do not want to shine your light where it is being seen (backstage work).

• 2 weeks later...

I've always used either mini/solitaire Maglites, and always been disappointed by their performance, or my bikelight, which is great but bulky.

But, based on this thread, just picked up a Fenix L1T v2.0. (Same power as the L1D CE, but fewer modes, so cheaper - about £23 after dollar conversion). Boy-o-boy is it a great torch. Ended up using it while marshalling a fireworks event last night, it really was that good! Better than a friend's D-cell maglite - unbelievable from a single AA torch. You only get about 1.5 hours on full power, but that's from a single AA, remember, so easy to carry spares. And for most on-stage work, the low power mode is fine, and that'll go on all day (rated for 15 hours I think)

But gear lust has got the better of me, and I fancy a L2D RB100 with almost double the output for those times I really need it. (And because I'm just a boy at heart!)

I'd never realised how good LED technology was these days. Thanks for the steer.

I have been following this topic with interest but it appears people are quite often recommending just the brightest torch, which as some have pointed out isn't always ideal backstage.

I'm wondering if the Gerber Infinity Ultra or the Maglite AA LED is a good compromise in brightness between needing to see in dark places during say a fitup, and doing a scene change or being in the wings during a show. Or do you just adjust the beam width?

I have been following this topic with interest but it appears people are quite often recommending just the brightest torch, which as some have pointed out isn't always ideal backstage.

Actually, that's one of the really neat things about the Fenix torches. With a quick twist of the head you can go from molten sun to stage-friendly low power. Works a treat for me, and a real joy to have some serious punch on the rare times when you really do need to be able to see well.

Archived