2degree lens for profile

johnnylawes

Maybe some other BlueRoomers have more knowledge of the Tattoo than me?
For that you'd be well off talking to big Clive from R.A.T.S.

(The same Clive who posted a pic a while back of him cooking a stir-fry in a wok over an up-turned par 64 atop the battlements of Edinburgh castle...! )

:)

Might be worth talking to Northern Light in Edinburgh - I think they have some kind of customised follow spot for the 'lone piper' ending of the Tattoo at Edinburgh Castle, and that has a similar sort of throw.

I'm talking off the top of my head here as I've never worked the Tattoo, but I've heard about this. Maybe some other BlueRoomers have more knowledge of the Tattoo than me?

It's PRG who handle the Tattoo now. The lone piper is illuminated with two par cans mounted just below his platform. The only time we had to illuminate him with a followspot this year was when the Wholehog 3 decided to do it's own show which included the rather exciting "all smoke machines @ full" cue. Fortunately we had some spanky new followspots which pulled it off even when irised down to such a small target.

Not sure what was causing issues with the WH3. It had the latest version of the software loaded and we still don't know if it was a software or hardware issue that caused two memorable nights for the technical crew.

A RJ Lancelot would be a good option for the OP. White Light can hire you this unit. It had its UK demo at Twickenham stadium - from the back of the highest grandstand it was able to project a fully sharp bright gobo image onto the pitch in broad daylight. A fantastic unit designed for this very application.

Maybe some other BlueRoomers have more knowledge of the Tattoo than me?
For that you'd be well off talking to big Clive from R.A.T.S.

Update on that - Clive has responded as follows:

"The lone piper is lit by local par cans mounted just below his plinth.

The only time he got spotted this year was when the Wholehog 3 threw one of it's hissy fits and we had to get a followspot on emergency standby to do it. I'm not sure how it looked because I was in disaster aversion mode and didn't see the effect. The followspot used was a new high output unit which was probably irised down to avoid a total castle swamp out."

Darn!

Only just noticed Clivey dipped in from lurk mode and posted almost exactly the same text!!

:D :( :(

Update on that - Clive has responded as follows:

"The lone piper is lit by local par cans mounted just below his plinth".

Thanks for that guys - clearly I'm somewhat longer in the tooth than you, as I remember a time when the piper WAS lit by a follow-spot from the back of the stands! :D

After speaking to my colleague:

"The follow spots that were used to illuminate the lone piper were Strand Patt 765 N/A these were specially manufactured for the event. They were located on top of the control cabins at the bottom of the esplanade and shone the full length of the esplanade. There were also some more of them manufactured and used in the Royal Albert hall in London for many years. I think the lens tubes still exist." - Gordon Blackburn Esq

Calder

Just thinking out loud on this a little. Is the object you are trying to project onto across the water on a bank or island? if so might there be any possibility to use a Selecon Pacific with a 575W MSR lamp on the bank pointed at a mirror in a suitable position to achieve the angle you require? If not I suspect the Lancelot is your best option.

Thanks for all your help! I've decided to go with the Lancelot. Just as an aside though, does anyone know the gobo size for the lancelot?

Thanks again.

Lancelot is using A size gobo. Picture size should be 65mm at the maximum.

Did you see the video on the website http://www.robertjuliat.fr/Product_Infos/LANCELOT.html ?

Contact me if you need more details.

Ludwig

"The follow spots that were used to illuminate the lone piper were Strand Patt 765 N/A these were specially manufactured for the event. They were located on top of the control cabins at the bottom of the esplanade and shone the full length of the esplanade. There were also some more of them manufactured and used in the Royal Albert hall in London for many years. I think the lens tubes still exist." - Gordon Blackburn Esq

Good old Gordy! I knew I wasn't imagining the piper follow spot!

So was it the lens tubes that were special? If so, I wonder what beam angle they were?

Archived