LED Parcans fixture profile

sparkytijo

Has anyone made a fixture profile before? I am tryin to make one for a Fat frog. I have downloaded the software, but not sure I am doing it right. Its for led parcans, they have 6 DMX channels 1 red, 2 green, 3 blue, 4 macro, 5 strobe, 6 dimmer.

thanks

The problem you will face is that only one attribute can be a 'dimmer' channel, this means that any use of the blackout or master faders will not affect 2 of the 3 colour values of the unit, this can make busking very interesting...

Edit V.Poor spelling

I own one of these fixtures and if it is the same as mine just bringing down chanel 6 will bring all the RGB attributes down on the Fixture
Hmmm...

I guess that would depend entirely on whether you have the same fixture as everyone else... Especially when there are 4, 5 and 6 ch models around... (doubtful!! :oops:)

However, I'm intrigued by what you say, as I have a handful of 6-ch fixtures and will be looking at that idea when next I can... :tearshair:

Oh - and there have been other recent topics on this subject.....

Maybe the mods would like to link them?

I guess that would depend entirely on whether you have the same fixture as everyone else... Especially when there are 4, 5 and 6 ch models around... (doubtful!! )

Well the one the o/p was on about,it had the excact same config as mine, and to my knowledge only the showtec ones (got mine from stage) have that Configuration.

How did the Profile work, sparkytijo?

Josh

Well the one the o/p was on about,it had the excact same config as mine, and to my knowledge only the showtec ones (got mine from stage) have that Configuration.
Hmmm...

Interesting....

So your Showtec LED pars have the channel config of (from the OP)...

6 DMX channels 1 red, 2 green, 3 blue, 4 macro, 5 strobe, 6 dimmer
yes?

Because our Showtech LED pars do NOT have a dimmer channel (and I suspect that NONE in fact do)...!

From what passes as a manual for these things, HERE is the DMX channel allocation data:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j40/Ynot_01/Showtech_LED_Par_Manual_-_channels.jpg

Channel 6 does a multitude of things, but dimming is not one of them.

Apologies!

After actually connectiong my LED Par up I have discovered that I was wrong but I will create a new fixture to reflect this change. I have asigned Red Green and Blue as Specials Under Colour which has them set as aditive RGB I have then imported this into the Ofline editor for Leapfrog and confirmed that a blackout will reduce the RGB because of the lack of a Dimmer

After actually connectiong my LED Par up I have discovered that I was wrong but I will create a new fixture to reflect this change. I have asigned Red Green and Blue as Specials Under Colour which has them set as aditive RGB I have then imported this into the Ofline editor for Leapfrog and confirmed that a blackout will reduce the RGB because of the lack of a Dimmer

Have you actually tried this in a real-world situation?

I use a Strand 300, and have tried several ways to set up profiles on our desks with no real luck, simply because, as Neil says above, there IS no basic dimmer function. Yes, you can assign the RGB channels in the profile setup, but as these are essentially three discrete dimmer channels in their own right, you'll struggle to get any ways towards using these as actual fixtures.

By the way - a quick BR Google brought up:

THIS THREAD from 2005 which dealt with Eurolite LED Pars.

THIS ONE from June this year looks at Showtec Pars.

THIS ONE has loads of stuff discussed around LED Pars.

There are LOTS of LED Par discussions - wonderful thing - the search function! :oops:

Eurolite LED Pars have a dimmer channel. So yes some indeed so have a dimmer channel!

Interesting!

So - this dimmer channel...

What exactly does it dim?

ALL channels of RGB?

Thoughtful minds are keen to know! :oops:

I have the same lights as the ones Dave is talking about. The "Dimmer" channel is like a master fader. If the dimmer channel is at 50%, then 100% on the RGB channels would equal 50%.

I found it strange that you need to "dim" the colour twice to get it to output. Why not just go straight out with the intensity on the colour channel.

The lights in question are the Eurolite LED Par64, available from our German friends or Lighting Partners.

Offtopic ish.

I found it strange that you need to "dim" the colour twice to get it to output. Why not just go straight out with the intensity on the colour channel.

Noooo! That's the biggest mistake half the manufacturers make. Having a separate dimmer channel makes programming and operating much easier, notably by allowing the use of palettes (or similar) in the same way as your average moving head. Only consoles with 'virtual dimmer' capability can circumvent this nightmare!

Moderation: Mods were at first going to close this one, and link it to one of the 3 that ynot spotted - the problem being which one? As the posts have continued to produce worthwhile data and discussion - probably best to let it run, as it has developed into something quite useful. Maybe at some point, we could think about trying to edit all the LED posts together, as there are dozens! - but that seems a long job. Hopefully, the next LED topic can be linked/merged or shut earlier - sorry we didn't notice earlier.

Alternatively the mods could let this run as a forum and stop trying to turn it in to a Wiki... (which is what the wiki is for...?). There's such a thing as micro-moderation you know!

Merging two concurrently running threads on the same subject is one thing... but come on!

Archived