Trantec S4.4 & Sennheiser Freeport Wireless Systems,

smalljoshua

As the current unreg chanel Ch70 is not mentioned I am going to assume that it will be left unregulated for the same uses in the future as it is currently so even if Ch69 is sold off or a broardcxaster decides to use it Ch70 will still be there.

Josh

I've been following this topic with interest because I am considering getting four of the trantecs which appear to be a bargain at first sight. I am holding back because of the uncertainty surrounding the frequency bands. I'm assuming that the companies are trying to offload the systems because they will be useless soon. Is this overly cynical?

As the current unreg chanel Ch70 is not mentioned I am going to assume that it will be left unregulated for the same uses in the future as it is currently so even if Ch69 is sold off or a broardcxaster decides to use it Ch70 will still be there.

Josh

Is this a valid assumption?

The consensus of opinion seems to be that I should still wait until the a decision has been made and the implications unfold. Has anyone a clue when the situation is likely to be resolved?

Meanwhile, I think I'll continue to hire in.

As far as I can glean from reading all the Ofcom DDR papers, Ch70 is not included in the sell off. The problem with Ch70 is the limited number of usable frequencies available without intermod distortion and also it is wide open and deregulated. If you set a show up using mics on Ch70, all may well be Ok until Saturday night at 8:15 pm when the local public house starts up with an open mic evening. By then you are in the middle of your show and it's too late to swap frequencies. Been there !! :guilty:

Ch 70 may be OK for a location like a school surrounded by fields, ie couple of hundred metres from the nearest pub/hall etc, but for a town/village/city location it is a no go.

The same comments apply for the Ch69 deregulated frequencies, it is proposed to make the whole of Ch69 deregulated but no decision has been made as yet.

Because of troubles with dereg frequencies, we have re tuned our mics to the shared freqs, although the same problem can occur with these freqs, it is less likely as the local pubs will not pay for a license and use the dereg frequencies.

We have the money set aside to buy more mics but are delaying until the DDR makes a decision and the manufacturers start to make equipment to cover the new allocations. Hiring in extra mics as required for the moment.

I think it is quite possible that manufacturers are trying to clear stock of dereg equipment and also trying to keep sales figures up as lots of people at the more 'clued up' end of the market are holding off buying.

JFMG is the place to keep an eye on when things will be resolved, but as it is a government decision, don't hold your breath! could be late this year, spring 2008, how long is a piece of string.

Edit: Extract from Ofcom Document

An indicative timetable for the award of the digital dividend is set out below. This is subject to a number of factors (e.g. international developments and the outcome of this consultation).

• Late summer 2007 Results of market research

• Late 2007 Policy statement

• Late 2007 Further consultation on detailed award proposals

• Summer 2008 Statutory consultation on draft Regulations

• Late 2008 / early 2009 Award process

Moderation: Edited to tidy up font and formatting.

Just being a bit pedantic here for a moment...

"Channel 70" is NOT available for licence free radio mic use. What IS available is a a small chunk of bandwidth (863.1-864.9 MHz) which is part of the UK Channel 70...but this is far from a whole channel.

It makes sense...in a warped sort of way...that these frequencies are not part of the Digital Dividend review, since the "dividend is meant to be new uses for channels freed up by the closure of analogue TV...and neither channel 69 or 70 are used for TV in the UK.

Bob

Trantec were a bit sneaky withe the 4000 and 4.5 packs - attaching the programmer doesn't enable reprogramming of the 4.5 pack, but G1 and 2 Senns are all fully tunable - or is there a specific version that isn't? I replaced a few Trantec packs with 4.5s as they were £30 cheaper to discover the limitation! I'm guessing this is the kind of thing you mentioned, and I just looked at the more expensive systems.

Change tack - anybody notice the nice neat 4,6 and 8 way racked Trantec packages CPC had in their offers this week - nice idea.

The OfCom statement 'Temporary access to UHF spectrum for programme-making and special events' states the following

1.6 We expect to identify the frequencies that will be available for PMSE access after DSO by the end of this year. However, we recognise the need to provide as much certainty as we can as quickly as possible so that users can continue to plan their use of equipment.

I therefore assume that by the end of 2007, we should know what freqs we can use in the future, but will not be able to use them until the Digital Switch Over occurs in our area. At least by xmas, we will then be able to ensure that any equipment we buy covers the new frequencies. (as well as the old, to cater for the interim period)

Archived