Where do Macs get there power from

techie18

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like he's done nothing more than confuse 2 rather similar lamp ratings!

Easy enough mistake for someone not in contact with different sorts of gear (and thus would perhaps realise the difference so easily) as some of us..

Know plenty of people who think a mac 2000's got a 2k lamp in it..

;)

It strikes me that there must be a decent number of colleges around the country who would be very happy to have their own studio theatre that welcomes touring professional productions (according to the college's website) and has a 520i board with a selection of 1K pars, fresnels amd profiles.

Many colleges struggle to get pro shows to perform in their venue, have a 300 series, GSX or equivalent desk and 650w lanterns.

I concur with others who point out that in the real world you WILL need to know how to focus a profile as well as where to plug a Mac, so don't neglect one just because you prefer the other. There are times when no matter how many moving heads you've got in the rig you'll be screaming out for a parcan because nothing else does what a parcan does. Likewise with a profile spot. Likewise with a birdie. ... and so on.

You're absolutely right that anyone learning theatre lighting today should know about moving heads, but equally anyone learning lighting today should know everything there is to know about fresnels, PCs, profiles, floods and parcans. In 50 years time people will still be using all of them.

In 50 years time? I'm quite convinced with todays attitudes to Global Warming and the like that tungsten lamps will no longer be in production or available. That's not to say that 'generic' lighting doesn't and rightly so have it's prominent place in lighting theatrical and other productions.

If I need a wash or special, give me a generic luminare any day. Colour changing wash/multiple gobo wash's then movers/LED lighting is 'probably' quicker and efficient to rig, but not always as effective.

In 50 years time? I'm quite convinced with todays attitudes to Global Warming and the like that tungsten lamps will no longer be in production or available.

Whilst it's very conceivable that 'we' will develop a new and more 'green' and efficient lamp for them, I'd say with some confidence that each of the main lantern types - profile, fresnel, flood, etc - WILL still be very much in use in 50 years. They've been around in one guise or another for well over that time already, and give or take advances in lamps/lenses/housing etc, the principle remains EXACTLY the same as it always has and always will! ;)

Wonder if LED or some type of high power Fluro's will take the lead in replacing the tungsten lamp?

Seriously doubt it!

Neither LED nor fluoros can produce a point source that can be focussed. And it will be a LONG time before either can even hope to come anywhere close - if at all they ever will

• 3 weeks later...

Ok...it's been answered by now - but MACS powered by IEC or wired directly to the circuits. This is normally by a 13, 15 or 16amp plug.

Just a thought, I personally think as others have metioned, a 500 just wouldn't work well with a Geni desk. If you still want to be a proud owner of a mac, I would suggest something such as a Mac Mini or a 250+ to start with. If your in need of the higher wattage, then you may have to invest in a 500, but at that you would have to get a better desk for them. Zero 88 may be your best bet for a good, well priced desk.

Also, as other have said, if your looking to learn...hire for a day or week, or visit a book shop or amazon.

:)

Conor

With respect, James, this is fairly basic stuff ("how do moving lights get their power?") - shouldn't you have covered this on your BTEC course?

Don't worry, I'm not suggesting you sound stupid! As they say, there's no such thing as a stupid question. If you don't know these things, then you need to ask. I just find it surprising that a BTEC course in theatre production doesn't teach its students some of the very basic stuff like how to get power to equipment like this. Perhaps if there's enough interest among your fellow students, your tutorial staff might be persuaded to devote a bit of time to learning about this kind of thing - if that's the case, let me know, as I live just a few miles from your college and I'm not that expensive! :)

Etc Etc Etc

Unfortunately Gareth, I am not at all surprised!

I was recently working with a young lad, who had just started a degree in electrical and mechanical engineering - Not a particularly stupid lad,but, not only was he unable to wire a plug (Live and Neutral reversed, and 1/4 inch of bare conductor sticking out of the terminals) but, when I was asked why his rig was blowing fuses, he was also incapable of working out how much load was being drawn. My point is that there is at least one degree level student out there who is unable to wire a plug, or know that P=VxI... I am not blaming him, but the system that allows someone to proceed that far, without an understanding of what I would consider GCSE knowledge and skills.

Jim

Still OT but I think pertanent to the previous post and a true story.

A student only has apptitude at one 'A' Level subject and finds a uiversity that will take him with just one pass in that subject.

Unfortunately he fails the subject.

Several weeks later he gets a letter from UCAS congratulating him on gaining a post a said University.

His Dad says to ignore it, probably just a clerical error.

Later on, student receives a letter from The University congratulating him on gainig a place and advising term dates, accomodation details etc.

So Dad rings up said University and says 'are you trying to make a fool of my son, he's failed the 'A' Level entry requirement and you keep writing to tell him he has a place at University.

That's correct sir, says the university, NO-BODY in the country passed the 'A' Level, we may have set it too high, so we're taking the top 25% of the failures.

His Dad told him to go and get a job.

But somewhere in the country there was a whole intake of students who left university with a degree and not one of them passed the 'A' level entry requirement.

Archived