Where do Macs get there power from

techie18

I'd like to see more background to this story... The vast majority of Universities require two A levels for entry to a degree level programme. Foundation degrees will accept one. The rules may vary for applicants with prior work or higher level academic experience.

Simon

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perhaps a bit of useful advice for the OP, if he really does want to get some hands on experience in his own time, would be to download one of the offline editors or 'software' versions of desks such as Chamsys MagicQ and the demo of Capture or WYSIWYG (which has Mac500's in the demo I believe)

This way he can get to grips with how a proper control desk works, rather than a DJ controller and actually have some view of the output without spending any money at all.

There's then the option of buying a DMX dongle and taking it out to use with some proper lights when the opportunity arises.

Correct me if I'm wrong but if I remember correctly the demo version of WYSIWYG won't let you hook a lighting desk, or virtual desk, into it.

One could always get GrandMA's OnPC and MA3D running to do it, though.

That's correct sir, says the university, NO-BODY in the country passed the 'A' Level, we may have set it too high, so we're taking the top 25% of the failures.

But somewhere in the country there was a whole intake of students who left university with a degree and not one of them passed the 'A' level entry requirement.

I think you need to word your posts better. I'm pretty sure I passed my A-levels...

Totally OT but If I recall, the exam scale can be sliding, one year the A* mark might be 80/100 and the next year only 40/100 they just change the scale. It happens with GCSE as well.

Nope - doesn't happen - in fact there are very, very rigid rules on pass marks changing more than a certain percentage, and it is very low. The only exception is when there is mistake in a paper and some kind of adjustment to the mark scheme has to be made - like a maths question that can't be answered and people have all been affected. In my experience of being involved in setting A level grade boundaries I've never seen extremes like the ones quoted here.

without an understanding of what I would consider GCSE knowledge and skills.

the ability to wire a plug is compulsory practical for Standard Grade Physics (for non-scots, that's roughly same as GCSE, and is taken between ages 14-16ish).

Not in England! I didn't get taught that for GCSE. (I think it was done in when I was about 13.....)

Also the OP didn't say it was taught at standard grade, just assessed at that stage. So they could have been taught it earlier.

the ability to wire a plug is compulsory practical for Standard Grade Physics (for non-scots, that's roughly same as GCSE, and is taken between ages 14-16ish).

In England you wouldn't have done Standard Grade would you?

No, but, as niall says, it's roughly the same as GCSE!

Oh god, I don;t often say this, but please mods. KILL THIS STRING! I feel compelled to read it but now it has meandered from the ops original question (which was answered on the first page) through a brief session of what I like to call 'rookie bashing', stumbled through our age old argument concerning the under appreciation of pattern 123 fresnels vs wavey buckets and other movers, fallen down a rabbit hole of what lamp do YOU use, and now... well to be frank I've forgotten what it's talking about now. BUt anyway, please kill it before it kills me! :unsure:

Archived