Big Ben live link-up

cedd

I am a wee bit late to this but, have you tried downloading from YouTube... I have looked and they have an alright video from this year:

It has a "BBC One" watermark at the top and a presenter voice over, but with some audio work I think you could get it out.

All you need to do is download it!

A You-tube vid is NOT rights free! That copy is probably an illegal copy of a BBC transmission, held under youtube copyright.

The options available to the OP seem limited to

1/ A rights cleared (and paid) use of a live feed from a broadcaster

2/ An original video shot to order previously and sync'd to the time from NPL

3/ A local use of a local major clock, by your own live OB crew on the night, or recorded and sync'd

It's your choice of time effort and money, for effect.

Other less lawful options exist!

I think local clock is the way to go! There is actually a clock on the town hall/theatre we'll be using! I was keen to use Big Ben (or the tower and clock that houses Big Ben!) simply for the iconic place it has in our New Year celebrations, but I also want the thing to happen bang on midnight which means live feed is out. An external camera on the town hall is do-able but the clock is clockwork(!) and I guess not as accurate as it could be. So I reckon that clock, but pre-recorded and sync'd to be 100% bang on.

Leeds does have a few big clocks but if we're staying local, it may as well be very local and be the town clockon the building we are all in (don't want everyone going outside to see it which would be the simplest thing).

Thanks all for very useful contributions.

C

My MSF clock turns 0:00 at the same time as teletext and freeview tv time and coincides exactly with the first of the 12 bongs after the hour chime broadcast on Radio 4. (which is maybe a digital recording???) OK so Im sad but yes I checked it and felt very british.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/module.aspx?Module...907&doy=5m1

is the largest cheap radio controlled clock on sale that I know of! Usually during the year it will appear in their sale list for £9.99!

If you do use a local clock then remember that the sound level in the bellchamber will be in levels illegal elsewhere (anything up to 150dB) This is loud enough to make hearing protection in-adequate! It is also loud enough to damage some microphones. The BBC used to have a Coles "Apple and Biscuit" mic in the bellchamber of Big Ben simply because of its ability to cope with high SPL.

On Millenium eve I was in a venue doing NYE and there was SKY on the big screen. There was a clock in the screen corner which was great for the long term counting down BUT the clock went OFF with a minute to go. (something to do with not imposing UST with satellite delay on people for whom Big Ben was a preferable time standard.)

Is there a hope of getting a camera pointing at your town hall clock from and adjacent building with a 2.4GHz feed directly to you.

Added:

MP3 really falls apart with the sound of bells so the best available recording is worth while if you will be using a recording.

Archived