JB DMX scanners

Joe Bleasdale

Have you got more specs for the existing system? How many dimmers? What rating? What existing fixtures do you have? How are the fixtures powered (IWBs in the ceiling or cables direct from the dimmers)? What supply does the space have? What is the control? What sort of events do you do in the space?

It may be that some intelligent fixtures are what your venue needs to expand your possibilities, but if there is money available to buy these scanners, why not spend that on upgrading your existing facilities, so you can hire equipment in when you need it (which may or may not include moving fixtures)?

I'd agree they're best left hanging from the ceiling of the student union.

its a disco toy only best for waving around in a night club.

:) but IMHO from a nightclub perspective, I wouldn't touch these, and I don't know many venues round me that would. They look much more suited to a mobile DJ than anyone expecting years of reliable hassle free use.

I was looking for a cheap DMX option to provide specials, as our rig can take 15 generics and wer maxed out. the school wont pay for an upgrade so I want something thats DMX and we can learn on.

You are not going to learn anything very useful here. Also - Why get excited by DMX? You can find out everything you need to know on the BR wiki, the millions of posts on the subject - that's ignoring all on the net itself. Running two control systems is always a pain, so I'd stop thinking about pointless kit and suggest that maybe improving what they already have is the next step. 15 generics is plenty to start with - better to learn how to use those effectively, and not make the assumption that cleverer kit = better kit. I bet plenty of people could suggest additions to what you have that would be value for money.

So what is your existing rig? What lanterns and what control/dimmer system - then we'll give you some ideas.

:) but IMHO from a nightclub perspective, I wouldn't touch these, and I don't know many venues round me that would. They look much more suited to a mobile DJ than anyone expecting years of reliable hassle free use.

Funnily enough I thought the exact same thing. They are definetely more mobile DJ disco lights. Everytime I've come into contact with mobile discos at parties I've seen a pair of JB Dynamo scans! Yuk.

Archived